Looking for input on Gun Lake

• djshannon
    Participant
    Crosslake

I have a friend that I fish with who has a place in the McGregor area. We normally fish Minnewawa, which he has his boat moored on. But, he has put his boat away for the season. I plan to pull my fishing rig over there next week to fish with him. Since, I am mobile I suggested we try some place new to us in the area. I suggested Cedar with its diverse fishing, he suggested Gun which is closer to his cabin.

Since we have never fished either of them, would one be better than the other. We generally fish catch and release, so, what we catch isn’t as important as putting something of size on the hook. Cedar would probably be more of a challenge with its more diverse structure. From the lake map, Gun looks like I could set my Minn-kota to follow the contour and troll the lake finding fish at the 18ft depth.

Now the questions; if it were you, would you, pick Cedar or Gun? what fish species would you target? and what part of the lake would you find most interested? General comments….

Thanks for any input…

Fish On…

Buzz
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

Most of my fishing on Gun has been Bass or Sunnies. Nice little lake. If your looking for walleyes try Clearwater (A couple of miles West of Bay Lake).

knoppers
    Participant
    big lake, backus

I have fished both lakes plenty, cedar is a nice lake, but it seems that you cast many more times to catch fish than other lakes. I did get a large musky on cedar. gun lake is much easier to fish, and you will catch many pike, and size is acceptable. as far as walleyes, both will give you trouble, big sandy or minnewawa are better. panfish on gun is better than cedar. good luck.

djshannon
    Participant
    Crosslake

Well, we were out on Gun on Wednesday. We were being blown all over the lake and the MInn Kota with ipilot link had a hard time following the contour. I then motored over to some relatively calm water by the public access. My fishing partner pulled out what he claims was the second larger Bass he had ever boated. The day was a success but it wasn’t pleasant.

Thanks for the input…Fish On…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.