Looking for a good old school am/fm radio

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I was thinking of picking up a nice radio for my dad for christmas. He lives out in the country, so one with good reception is a plus. Any reccomendations? I seen Sangean makes some nice ones. Just a simple unit with nice dials and sound.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The best radio I have owned is my old Dewalt, it runs off a cord or one of there batteries, sound is not great, but not bad and it is bullet proof and get great reception

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The Sangean got good reviews, the Panasonic RF-2400D comes up a lot also.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I looked and did a bunch of research on this last summer and the Sangean may be the best, but, I trusted what I had first hand knowledge of and went with a the Panasonic because the 2 radios from the 60’s I received from my grandfather both sound good and were Panasonic. I am happy with it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have 2 Sangen radios and I have bought one for my parents as well. The Sangen radios are very good in areas with fringe reception.

I have 2 different models, but both have good reception. One is up at the farm, the other is in my shop here in the metro.

Coletrain27

The best radio I have owned is my old Dewalt, it runs off a cord or one of there batteries, sound is not great, but not bad and it is bullet proof and get great reception

The new style dewalts really jam now! The old ones were ok for the time but the new ones are nice

Alagnak1

Same story as The FG. I have purchased several Sangean and have no complaints. One rigid antenna had to be replace from operator error. That one the kids bring out and use outside practicing. After messing around with boat decks going out on several boats or messing with antennas and crappy reception even close to the metro I gave up and just use a waterproof one in the boats and garage. Bought another one for my folks in the boonies and they love it and bring it camping at the big lake and the UP and travels with them to Alabama for the winter. Worth the $.

dirtywater

We got a Sangean WR50 last year about this time and it’s been great. The rigid antenna works so much better than those wire ones you typically see, and the cabinet on this little thing is actual wood. We can pick up the WDGY classic rock station from the Hudson/Bayport area in an interior room in our house in St. Paul — our old Sony gave us nothing but static on that frequency. My only regret is not buying the bundle with the slave speaker to run in stereo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.