Livewell pump ??

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have a ’03 Lund Fisherman… had the live well pump running… and never “heard” it before. Like a vibrating or buzzing. Eventually it stopped working, and I went in through the access and gave it a good tap with a pliers I had handy… started up again.

Question is, are these a maintenance thing, or just buy a new one and replace it? Figured I’d ask before taking things apart, then look for a generic number and hopefully find one on line. (my local dealer isn’t so local, and even less good to work with)

Also, since this has a manual, or auto (timer sort of thing), is that a function of the pump, or something else? I ask, in case it matters when I go to replace if that is my direction.

munchy
    NULL

They are normally just a throw away item. However many boat manufacturers have gone to a cartridge style that just replaces the pump itself and not the entire housing. So find the model number on it, do a google search, and see if it has cartridges available for it. They normally just clip and spin out.

Also the auto/timer is a function of the switch, not the pump.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Chuck,

For what it is worth, the pump on my ’03 1700 Fisherman did NOT have the convenient cartridge style. Luckily, I never had to change it in the 10 years of owning it.

FDR

Chuck Melcher

Thanks guys…. that is exactly what I was looking to understand before pulling it out.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Common to get crud in them and have them jam up. Usually when you hear them, the impeller is about worn out. Hopefully the access gives you some working room. Regardless of a cartridge swap or complete replacement, easy to swap out. If you replace a through health stub, seal with 3m 5200 marine sealant

Chuck Melcher

Got into the pump today… just a simple half turn out cartridge style…. $21 to my door from Amazon. Guessing it will take longer to splice wiring down inside the access area than everything else put together.

So all good!! Thank you again.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There should be spade terminals down there if you follow the wires.
    If you chose.

Chuck Melcher

If you chose.

I’ll look for sure, not much room in there, so that would be good. Right now, due to my recent success salmon fishing, and attempt to use the livewell for bleeding, before knowing it was done working – just say it isn’t pleasant sticking my head in that area of the boat. )

A good cleaning is on the way before the fix I guess.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you chose.

If the current wires do not currently have spade connections I would add them when you replace. It will make the replacement much easier the next time you have to replace. Also make sure there is not just a small rock or other item caught in the pump ( Rather normal ) if so just clean out and replace the cartridge. May save you a few $ and the hassle of the change.

Chuck Melcher

Something in the electronic part… pulled the pump (insert style) it spun, made a noise and died again…. Little prop is perfect. Power supply is all good.

Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.