Lithium Starting Battery

• Matt L
    Participant
    Twin Cities

I am getting to the point where a 31 isn’t able to keep up with all the electronics.

Has any one successfully used a Lithium Deep Cylce, like a 100AH for a starting battery? Or those who have 5 Batteries in the boat now, figured out a configuration to charge all 5 batteries on a single onboard charger?

JasonP
    Participant
    Twin Cities

If you’re wanting to add capacity to handle electronics then you might want to consider adding a house battery.

If you have a starting battery, house battery, and 36V TM system you will probably end up needing two separate charging systems. I haven’t seen many 5-bank chargers – and you might bump up against 120V circuit limitations with two separate chargers.

Cabelas does sell a 100ah LIFEPO4 starting battery though if that interests you.

JP

Gobbler
    Participant

Would a standard bank charger work with a lithium as I’ve herd the small gell cell batteries for fish finders needed a special charger ?

Drizzy Musky
    Participant
    Duluth

Lithium cranking battery will fry your alternator.

Just add a seperate house bank.

JasonP
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Would a standard bank charger work with a lithium as I’ve herd the small gell cell batteries for fish finders needed a special charger ?

Gell cell?

Most newer chargers will accommodate LIFEPO4 charging but not optimally. When charging LIFEPO4’s it is best to use a charger designed with a LIFEPO4 charging profile.

For example, I have a 24V LIFEPO4 trolling system and a lead-acid starting battery. I purchased a 3-bank charger and special ordered it to have two banks with a lithium charging profile and one bank with a lead-acid profile.

jp

milemark_714
    Participant

I am getting to the point where a 31 isn’t able to keep up with all the electronics.

Has any one successfully used a Lithium Deep Cylce, like a 100AH for a starting battery? Or those who have 5 Batteries in the boat now, figured out a configuration to charge all 5 batteries on a single onboard charger?

Power Pole Charge will do that.Any configuration trolling motor batteries,any type.For cranking+house battery,just program the total amp hours into charger.

For LifePo4 cranking batteries,some are outboard charging friendly even with Merc and Yamaha SHO models.LBP and Ionic batteries are good.Plus many new ones are coming out.

You get what you pay for,although I think Lithium Pros are proud of theirs.

Musky Ed
    Participant

Ionic makes a main battery that is recommended as a starting battery. As far as I know, it is the only one recommended for that. It is a 125 amp hr battery, with a higher crank amps than the other 100 amp hr batteries being sold. Also supposedly has a enhanced circuitry to work with outboard charging systems. Go over to bass boat central and you will learn all you need to know. It’s a big thing with the bass guys, they are running 3-4 graphs all day and still able to start their engines. It will not fry your charging system on your engine.

David Anderson
    Participant
    Dayton, MN

Matt, I understand your frustration regarding a series 31 battery life with everything. I had Interstate 31 AGM’s and they are rated at 100AH. That 100AH rating is derived from a 20 hour draw which is only 5 Amps. I have 3 HDS units a 12 and 2 9’s. Baitwell, livewell, Structure scan 3D, Radios, when on the water my total draw was 8 – 9 amps. At that level the 31 actual AH is like 65 – 70. To maximize battery life one should only discharge an AGM 40 – 50% of it’s capacity so in reality you could have as low as 35 useable AH or 4 – 5 hours at 8 amps. My Ranger has a battery switch in it to switch in one of my trolling motor batteries to start my 250 hp, which I’ve done many times. Enough is enough and I got the BBC packaged deal on 4 LiFePo4 batteries from Ionic, 1 – 125AH with heater for the main battery/electronics and 3-100AH for the trolling motor. With these batteries in theory you get 100% of your AH regardless of what amperage you draw. I got the 100’s for my trolling motor as you need at least 100AH to start my motor (Assuming they have the proper BMS, Battery Management System). These batteries have a very sophisticated BMS that controls what the battery see’s for input then adjusts for proper charging. I have a Minnkota MK460PC that works perfectly if set to the AGM mode. Went to Erie 2 weeks ago and the batteries performed flawlessly. Each battery has a Bluetooth output to a downloadable app on the phone. Keeps track of State of Charge, voltage, charge or discharge amps, Watts being used or inputted, number of charge cycles, battery temperature, and overall battery condition. LiFePo4 batteries should not be discharged less than 90% so the BMS will monitor this for you to maximize the battery life. I lost 150# out of my boat, we ran our electronics all day, live well, radio and before I went in it was at 80%. It was rough and took about 45 minutes to get back to the landing. Once on the trailer I checked and it was already at 98% charged. I am truly impressed and with my current AGM’s getting tired, they are not cheap either, like $350 each. AGM last 300-500 charge cycles, LifePo4 will take 3,000 – 10,000 charge cycles. I know that they are more expensive but I will never have to replace (or run out of power) my batteries again. I am not a affiliated with Ionic but just an impressed customer that has done a ton of research on LiFePo4 batteries. Good Luck.

Matt L
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Thanks all for the input. I will check out the Ionics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.