Lithium Battery Survey

• JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

What battery (Brand, Type, AH) are you using in your Livescope Shuttle with what Head Unit model? How much runtime do you honestly get? Would be nice to see what everyone else is running…

Here’s mine:
    Head Unit Model = EchoMap 93sv UHD
    Brand = Amped Outdoors
    Type = LifeP04
    AH = 18AH
    Runtime = With my fishing style (constantly turning head unit on/off throughout the day with battery terminals always connected, I seem to get about 8-10 hours (I keep my backlight at 100%)

Side Question – What are your thoughts on LifeP04 vs NMC? Does the NMC’s higher operating voltage have ANY benefit to Livescope’s display? I’ve thought about upgrading to either a 19ah NMC (for the 1 lb weight savings/same runtime) or go with maximum runtime of the 32ah NMC at 1 lb heavier weight vs the 18ah LifeP04….

King Pout
    Participant
    NE Minneapolis, MN

I just purchased the Amped Outdoors 32Ah NMC. I will let you know how it differs as I also have the Amped Outdoors 30Ah LifeP04.

Head unit – Echomap 93sv UHD with LiveScope
    Brand – Amped
    Type – NMC
    Ah – 32Ah

Mike
    Participant

Head unit – Echomap 73sv UHD
    Brand – Amped
    Type – NMC
    Ah – 32Ah

Runtime – Not sure. I had probably 14-15 hours split between two days without recharging, and it was still at 15v. Backlight around 70-80, head unit on as soon as I get on the lake so I can use the map and stays on as long as I’m on the ice.

Can’t comment too much on the display benefits of higher voltage, only ran the livescope on SLA batteries once to try it out on the kayak. Although even pulling those down to 10v (oops) I didn’t notice too much image degradation.

The biggest plus to higher voltage is lower amp draw, you should get a longer runtime out of the 19Ah NMC vs the 18Ah LifPo.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Head Unit Model = Marcum LX7
    Brand = Dakota Lithium
    Type = LifeP04
    AH = 18AH
    Runtime = Dont know, after I bought it late last year my LX7 developed a funky display issue so I had to send it in for repair. Its fixed now, but I havent fished with it yet.

Tlazer
    Participant

Head unit = Echomap 93SV UHD
    Brand = Amped
    Type = 14.8V NMC
    Ah = 32AH

Run time estimated about 14 hours between 2-3 days of fishing. Starting voltage about 16.8 volts when fully charged. After estimated 14 hours fishing the unit still displayed 14.8V when I recharged the battery. According to Amped the battery would be at 12V when fully discharged.

tight_lines
    Participant
    SE Minnesota

Head unit = Echomap 93SV UHD
    Brand = Norsk 20.8 14.8V
    Type = Lithium Ion
    Ah = 20.8

Run time estimate would be more than 12 hours but not sure how much. I haven’t gotten to fish enough this winter to fully drain it. Yesterday I ran it from 1-6pm and without any charging it is still at 14.7V. My longest run time has been from 8am-5pm on 100% brightness and it had no issues.

Probably would have went with an Amped or Dakota LiFeP04 battery but got this as part of a deal setting up my kit.

Dustin Zmetana
    Participant

What battery (Brand, Type, AH) are you using in your Livescope Shuttle with what Head Unit model? How much runtime do you honestly get? Would be nice to see what everyone else is running…

Here’s mine:
    Head Unit Model = EchoMap 93sv UHD
    Brand = Amped Outdoors
    Type = LifeP04
    AH = 18AH
    Runtime = With my fishing style (constantly turning head unit on/off throughout the day with battery terminals always connected, I seem to get about 8-10 hours (I keep my backlight at 100%)

Side Question – What are your thoughts on LifeP04 vs NMC? Does the NMC’s higher operating voltage have ANY benefit to Livescope’s display? I’ve thought about upgrading to either a 19ah NMC (for the 1 lb weight savings/same runtime) or go with maximum runtime of the 32ah NMC at 1 lb heavier weight vs the 18ah LifeP04….

Has there been any update to this battery discussion? I am exactly contemplating the 19 NMC from amped to reduce weight from the 30ah LifeP04 with the same screen. I am hoping for more runtime as when outside a shelter the elements seem to drain alot faster.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

I just switched to an Amped 32ah NMC battery because I also switched from a 93UHD to an Ultra106sv and thus needed more juice for the 10” screen. The 19ah NMC should be great for an Echomap 93. I probably could have gotten away with the 19ah with 75% brightness, but with the 32 I can run full screen brightness all day and not worry about running empty.

The 32NMC weighs just a little more than the 18ah lifePO4… The 30ah LifePO4 is way too heavy, I was fine spending the extra $70 to save 3 pounds…

The LifePo4 vs NMC charge cycle difference will NEVER be a factor for me…

Dustin Zmetana
    Participant

JoeMX your so much help!

I can get the 19 NMC for a bit cheaper than the 30 LifePO4 and since I will be running off a 93UHD I think this will be the best set up for ice.

What would you expect the 19 to get on 100% with the 93UHD? 12+ hours?

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

I think Amp’s website says 12-13, i’d guess its more like 11-12 hours, its sooo light though! Great battery!

Icefisherguy
    Participant

I just switched to an Amped 32ah NMC battery because I also switched from a 93UHD to an Ultra106sv and thus needed more juice for the 10” screen. The 19ah NMC should be great for an Echomap 93. I probably could have gotten away with the 19ah with 75% brightness, but with the 32 I can run full screen brightness all day and not worry about running empty.

The 32NMC weighs just a little more than the 18ah lifePO4… The 30ah LifePO4 is way too heavy, I was fine spending the extra $70 to save 3 pounds…

The LifePo4 vs NMC charge cycle difference will NEVER be a factor for me…

Joe – did you prefer the 106 for the ice season? I thought I read that you may have switched back to the 93? Curious which way you’d go if you were buying a new setup today?

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

I purchased a 106sv during the BPS Black Friday sale and planned on replacing my boat’s main Humminbird unit. Plans changed and I decided to instead use it for Livescope, so I sold my Echomap 93 LVS32 bundle a month ago before the LVS34 upgrade rush selloff started and pieced together a new bundle to use with the 106 and LVS34. I’m just waiting for the companies that sell the poles to come up with a LVS34 quick release mount (hoping Summit releases one soon)

Buying new all depends on what price you can get your head unit for. The EchoMap93 is perfectly fine for Livescope, but if you can get the 106sv deal for $1,000 it’s a no brainer imo, it just requires getting a bigger battery (Amped 32ah)…

If you do any type of holehopping with Livescope I would suggest going with a EchoMap93 bundle and an Amped 19ah NMC, that will get you to around 19 lbs total weight. The 106 with Amped 32ah NMC is likely going to be around 23-24 lbs (I’ll weigh my final setup when its ready)

Icefisherguy
    Participant

Thanks. That’s exactly what I am debating after seeing the 106sv deal pop up today. I plan to use in the boat too but just as a portable unit (kept in the Garmin bag). I wasn’t sure if the higher resolution on the 106sv allowed you to see more. I do like to move around quite a bit on the ice so am thinking I will stick with the 93 for the weight savings.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Thanks. That’s exactly what I am debating after seeing the 106sv deal pop up today. I plan to use in the boat too but just as a portable unit (kept in the Garmin bag). I wasn’t sure if the higher resolution on the 106sv allowed you to see more. I do like to move around quite a bit on the ice so am thinking I will stick with the 93 for the weight savings.

most said the 93 actually produced a better livescope image vs the 106, mostly due to the preset resolution output from the GLS10, the Ultra is much faster at changing screens and mapping though…

I also use the portable Garmin bag and shuttle year round, I use Livescope quite a bit off my dock though so moving it around quickly is key for me, the Summit pole and RAM mounts make it so easy.

Dustin Zmetana
    Participant

most said the 93 actually produced a better livescope image vs the 106, mostly due to the preset resolution output from the GLS10, the Ultra is much faster at changing screens and mapping though…

Sorry for the earlier thread reply looks like you may have answered my question.

What was your experience for ice fishing images of the 93 vs 106?

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Sorry for the earlier thread reply looks like you may have answered my question.

What was your experience for ice fishing images of the 93 vs 106?

I swapped at the end of the ice season, The 106 will be my summer/winter Livescope screen from now on…

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

I’ve asked several youtube Livescope experts to do a Livescope video comparing different screens (Echomap/Ultra/GPSMap) and how they look on Livescope only, tbd…

Dustin Zmetana
    Participant

Great! Now I am on the fence again. lol

Thought the 93 would be good enough.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Things to think about if you want to upgrade from a 9” EchoMap to a 10” Ultra:

* The Ultra screen and mount are about 2 pounds heavier
    * The Ultra will require at least a 30+ ah battery as it uses 3 amps per hour with Livescope. This will add X more weight depending on model.
    * The Ultra “might” require a new Garmin case to zip closed. Newer Garmin XL bags are made a hair larger now allowing the cover to zip closed a bit easier. Old bags are very tight to zip closed (I can personally attest to both)

Dustin Zmetana
    Participant

Thanks! I have considered all of those things. Even a few pounds lighter it isn’t a hole hopper anyway.
    I just want to be sure of my decision. I don’t think the 106 is going to show me more fish than the 93?
    Probably just get to know your settings and equipment!?

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

From what i’ve read, there’s alot more added screen space than just the 1” diagonal difference…. If the added expenses of upgrading arent an issue, why not go bigger/better? The processor increase with the Ultra is also very noticeable and worthwhile, the cradle is metal and locks much better, it has 2 network ports built-in and you can run a LVS12 directly from it if desired.

Icefisherguy
    Participant

From what i’ve read, there’s alot more added screen space than just the 1” diagonal difference…. If the added expenses of upgrading arent an issue, why not go bigger/better? The processor increase with the Ultra is also very noticeable and worthwhile, the cradle is metal and locks much better, it has 2 network ports built-in and you can run a LVS12 directly from it if desired.

I decided to go with the ultra 106sv as well. The $999 deal at Cabelas is too good to pass up. When running Livescope exclusively, there doesn’t appear to be much benefit to the higher resolution of the 106sv (as compared to the UHD 93sv) today, but this could change in the future and I will be happy I went with the 106sv.

As for the battery, how difficult is it to swap batteries on these setups? I am still waiting for my Garmin bag to show up but am considering running the 19AH NMC battery from Amped Outdoors and having a second one on-hand for longer days when I might run out of power. This will help keep the weight down but not sure how much of a pain it is to swap batteries.

Dustin Zmetana
    Participant

I think Joe will recommend the 32 NMC? Do you already have the 19ah NMC?

Icefisherguy
    Participant

I think Joe will recommend the 32 NMC? Do you already have the 19ah NMC?

Yes, I already have the 19ah NMC so trying to utilize it if I can

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

As for the battery, how difficult is it to swap batteries on these setups? I am still waiting for my Garmin bag to show up but am considering running the 19AH NMC battery from Amped Outdoors and having a second one on-hand for longer days when I might run out of power. This will help keep the weight down but not sure how much of a pain it is to swap batteries.

Swapping batteries is just unhooking the terminal connectors. The Ultra106 + Livescope pulls over 3 amps per hour of power, so simple math tells you a 19ah SHOULD run it 6-7hrs in good conditions, you can increase this time by reducing your background light level, I don’t know of a reduced Backlight % to Extra runtime conversion, so it’s try and see…if the 19ah doesn’t end up being enough I would recommend a 32ah and use the 19 as a backup or put it in a power box to power overhead lights, phone charger, etc…see if you can buy it without the battery charger to save $ since you already have one. The Garmin bag battery slot is sized for the old nicad 12ah which just so happends to be the same form factor of the Amped 32nmc battery. I also just heard that Amped is going to be coming out with a new 18ah LifeP04 replacement this year likely increasing the AH to something in the 20’s to compete with Dakota Lithium…I ran the 18ah LifeP04 battery in my old EchoMap93 bundle, it was a great cost & weight choice…

Dustin Zmetana
    Participant

How much of a difference in run time hours is the 32 NMC vs the 30 LifePo4? There is a price jump how much am I gaining vs just the weight difference!?

James Almquist
    Participant

If you were running a 106 with livescope it would only be around a hour. Cost would be $70 and weight 4lb 13oz vs 6lb 10oz. I do like the higher voltage just not sure if it is worth the $70.

Dustin Zmetana
    Participant

If you were running a 106 with livescope it would only be around a hour. Cost would be $70 and weight 4lb 13oz vs 6lb 10oz. I do like the higher voltage just not sure if it is worth the $70.

Those are my thoughts and that’s what I will be running.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

i’d gladly pay $70 to save 2+ lbs everytime I pick it up…it’s exactly what I did, I’ll never get close to the charge cycle benefit the lifeP04 gives vs the NMC…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.