Leupold & Vortex Binoculars 10 X 42

• trophy19
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Need a new pair for hunting this fall. Anyone have experience with:
    a) Leupold BX-2 Alpine
    b) Vortex Diamondback
    c) Vortex Crossfire

Would love to get Nikon Monarch 5 but that’s an additional $100 and likely overkill for what I need.

Thanks
    Pete

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

c) Vortex Crossfire

I’ve got these. I’ve had them for 3 years now. I mostly just use them for hunting purposes.

The primary reason I bought them was because I hang them around my neck and I didn’t want a heavier full size pair getting in the way or get old wearing it for long periods of time. I will admit that they are not fully fog proof, however. On a very cold morning when I’m trying to look through them, they have fogged up. I got them about half off MSRP on Black Friday. Vortex makes nice optics and scopes, plus they are made in Wisconsin and they have a good warranty.

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

If you’re willing to stretch the budget just a little, I would recommend looking at the Maven C1 series. They are legitimately as good and if not slightly better than the Vortex Viper series, for $350 new. You can often find them VERY slightly used for $300-ish.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Don’t have any myself. A friend of mine dropped his Vortex binoculars out of a ladder stand last fall. They hit on 1 of the ladder rungs and split in half. He called Vortex they shipped him a new pair the same day so he could keep hunting. Just had to ship the broke pair back after his trip. That is customer service you can’t beat. waytogo

Jeremy
    Participant
    Richland County, WI

I have Vortex Crossfire 12×50, they are really good for the price

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

b) Vortex Diamondback

Very clear, moderate weight, Relatively easy to focus quickly, – overall worth the price.

Nikon is just a name of a brand that was good about 35 years ago. With all the negative experiences I’ve had with them, I wouldn’t give one cent for their inconsistent pieces of crap

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have a pair of Nikon Prostaff 10X42 binocs and am very happy with them. After comparing the quality of what I was looking at with a few of the Leupolds and Vortex models I didn’t see the need to spend the extra $$$. I hunt primarily in the woods and they’re maybe over-kill for that venue but I do spend time on the fringe and they’re plenty good for that. Binocs can get to be a pretty personal purchase. What tickles one person’s fancy might not be good for anther. Go look thru a mess of them before buying and then consider the cost vs how much use they’ll actually get.

Beast
    Participant

I have owned both the Nikon and the leuopold in the 10×42, sent the Nikons back 3 times for repair, (adjustment knob and 2 focus issues) The leuoplds have never been a problem, and still as clear as the day I bought them going on 10+ years now.

Buffalo Fishhead
    Participant

If you’re willing to stretch the budget just a little, I would recommend looking at the Maven C1 series. They are legitimately as good and if not slightly better than the Vortex Viper series, for $350 new. You can often find them VERY slightly used for $300-ish.

Good advice from Waldo. I used a pair of Maven binoculars for work for a couple years and, for the money, I believe they have excellent glass.

Downside is they are not in stores, you have to order them online. But, I think they have a program where you can use a pair for a period of time and then if you like them you purchase them.

Buffalo Fishhead

Bill Sackenreuter
    Participant
    Devils Lake ND

Cabelas has the 10 x42 Diamondbacks on sale now for 129$.Thats a Great price.I keep a pair in my pickup all the time,very happy with them.
    I had a set of Leupold Olympics,stolen out of my pickup,they were quite a bit more,but didnt see that big of a difference between the two sets.

tindall
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

I find myself buying more Vortex stuff because it competes performance wise with other brands but has the vip unconditional, transferable warranty. No registering, no nonsense, just send the pieces back for a new one – even if it was your fault.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

c) Vortex Crossfire

I bought a pair last summer for my western hunting trips. With limited use so far I have nothing against them. Good quality, got knocked around a bit in my pack but no issues. Water, fog, and shock proof. Easy to focus and adjust the eye cups as well. I’d recommend them.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I have two pairs of Diamondbacks. The last pair I got on Midway USA for $105 with shipping.

trophy19
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

dbright,
    Wondering if the pair you bought from Midway are the compact Diamondback model? Heck of a price.

Also, I saw the Cabela’s Diamondback Roof Prism model on sale for $129 – out of stock.

Guess I’ll wait for a few sales closer to hunting season.

Thanks
    Pete

Red Eye
    Participant

I don’t have any but my cousin that is in the army national guard gets a percentage off Vortex products. If I remember right it was a pretty big chunk. Might help if you know anybody in the service.

Buffalo Fishhead
    Participant

After reading this thread I it is interesting to see the different opinions expressed between people living in the upper mid west vs. those living in a rocky mountain state when it comes to binoculars (and probably other optics).

If you read the hunting forums that have people posting who are primarily western big game hunters, the discussions always seem to be about high-end optics.

Buffalo Fishhead

trophy19
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Yup
    Lot of difference between hunting in wooded or agriculture areas vs glassing a couple miles.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

I own a pair of Vortex Diamondback HD 12×50’s
    Wholey COW great bi’s!! Surprised me even @ sunset when the trees in the far distance around the trunks were dark but, not with these up to your eyes! It was like turning on the lights.

I thoroughly recommend them!
    Vortex Diamondback HD 12×50’s

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

After reading this thread I it is interesting to see the different opinions expressed between people living in the upper mid west vs. those living in a rocky mountain state when it comes to binoculars (and probably other optics).

If you read the hunting forums that have people posting who are primarily western big game hunters, the discussions always seem to be about high-end optics.

Buffalo Fishhead

Big difference in looking at a critter that is 3 or 4 miles away and deciding to make a stalk that could take the rest of your season

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

b) Vortex Diamondback

Does anyone know if there’s a difference in these between vendor’s? Like do they cheap out on some parts for Walmart/Midway vs Scheels etc. There’s a huge price variance from like $139-259. And do you recommend the Vortex chest harness too?

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>
    b) Vortex Diamondback

Does anyone know if there’s a difference in these between vendor’s? Like do they cheap out on some parts for Walmart/Midway vs Scheels etc. There’s a huge price variance from like $139-259. And do you recommend the Vortex chest harness too?

I think you may be looking at the Midway price for the 28mm objective dia. I know on Midway at least the 8/10x42s are still in that $220-ish price range.

Personally I had a Mystery Ranch bino harness that was so-so. Sold that this year and bought an Alaska Guide Creations harness that I like much better (fit wise and overall ergonomics). The Vortex harness though seems to be fairly popular.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I think you may be looking at the Midway price for the 28mm objective dia. I know on Midway at least the 8/10x42s are still in that $220-ish price range.

Thanks you are correct. Any reason to avoid these from Wally World (besides buying from them, which I generally try not to do).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vortex-12×50-Crossfire-HD-Roof-Prism-Binoculars-with-GlassPak-Harness-Case/568505365?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=15310&&adid=22222222227297953098&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=367250398045&wl4=pla-787927266395&wl5=9019609&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125194560&wl11=online&wl12=568505365&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuj-jezj6gIVCr7ACh1KEQ3BEAQYBCABEgKxXPD_BwE

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

dbright,
    Wondering if the pair you bought from Midway are the compact Diamondback model? Heck of a price

They are 10×42. Much nicer to use for my 3d shoots than the 10×50’s I bought before.

Thanks
    Pete

tswoboda
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>

Thanks you are correct. Any reason to avoid these from Wally World (besides buying from them, which I generally try not to do).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vortex-12×50-Crossfire-HD-Roof-Prism-Binoculars-with-GlassPak-Harness-Case/568505365?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=15310&&adid=22222222227297953098&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=367250398045&wl4=pla-787927266395&wl5=9019609&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125194560&wl11=online&wl12=568505365&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuj-jezj6gIVCr7ACh1KEQ3BEAQYBCABEgKxXPD_BwE

These are sold by Webyshops on Walmart marketplace, so you’re not really buying them from Walmart. You can get the same pair from the same company for the same price on Amazon if it makes you feel better.

tindall
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

I don’t have any but my cousin that is in the army national guard gets a percentage off Vortex products. If I remember right it was a pretty big chunk. Might help if you know anybody in the service.

Active/vets can register for prodeals on vortex. Typically it is 40% off but you pay shipping and a couple dollar processing fee. The challenge is they limit the amount so options are often out of stock. Can be incredibly good deals if you buy multiple items to spread the shipping cost.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

My 12s are my go to when I’m out west. I use the smaller around my farm and just general use.

I have the vortex combo bag/chest harness and like it when I’m on the atv. Also has enough room for cow calls and range finder.

If I’m hiking, I like the off brand I have because it tightens up better down low and doesn’t get hung up on my back pack

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.