Let talk hub shacks

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

As my fishing style changes, I find myself looking at options again. Looking at the small lightweight hub houses. Does anybody have a review of the frabill hubs like the HQ100? I like to by durable, quality stuff that will last. As I look online at them, the lighter the better, and the lower the price the better, but I do not want to go too cheap, and wind up with something the wind will blow thru or the hubs or poles break. I am open to any suggestion. Or if you have one for sale, let me know, open to good condition used as well.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I don’t own a hub house yet but have fished out of a handful of different ones. I would not buy one without a no trip door like the Eskimo or Otter ones. Those little triangle doors suck.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve owned Clam, Eskimo and Otter hubs and many Frabill flip-overs. Frabill is no better quality than Clam IMO…I would only be looking at Eskimo or Otter hubs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have both a eskimo and a otter hub and I like them both. Sold my frabil after the second time using it.

MX1825

I have the Otter full door hub. Seems durable but have only used a half dozen times. Only complaint I have is some of the hub poles seem a little too long and the velcro straps won’t hold them in place. They bow a little too much.

Aboxy17

Whatever you do go with an insulated hub I would recommend the Otter vortex series. Super happy with mine. Eskimo outbreaks look nice as well.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I have a Frabill fortress for 2 years now after a Fatfish 949 for 8. I give the notch to Eskimo but my Frabill is a bit nicer quality.
    I am in SE MN and never been cold in an uninsulated hub. insulated adds extra weight and I pull mine onto a bunch of lakes that do not allow wheelers/sleds so i go as light as possible. the full door is nice but i have never died lifting my leg an extra 4 inches to get into my hub.
    It all depends how you fish and where you fish. I would only own a flip over if I lived on a lake where I could hook it up to a wheeler or sled.

MX1825

the full door is nice but i have never died lifting my leg an extra 4 inches to get into my hub.[/quote]

I have the full door and would never go back to the triangle door. It might seem like 4 inches to you but being 6’5″ and 70 years old wearing a float suit my knees just don’t bend like they used too! doah

isu22andy

I have the Eskimo XD 250 with the full door . It’s a good 2-3 man shack . Full door is nice but seems like it doesn’t hold its shape as well as a regular square one in the wind unless it’s staked out . Only used it twice so my experience is limited .

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have the Eskimo 650XD with the full door and insulated.

My recommendation is go as big as you can for your budget. I like the round shape of the eskimo you don’t have to worry about wind other than where to put the door. The full door is super nice for getting gear in and out. Super easy to set up by yourself if not windy. My eskimo I think came with tie downs and spikes or maybe I had to buy the spikes…

Even by myself I like to fish out of the pop up. It goes up and down quick enough but certainly not as quick as flip but there is so much more room than a flip.

I would for sure buy the adapter for your drill to use with the spikes.

Never had a frabill only clam and Eskimo. Quality on Eskimo I am very pleased with.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I should clarify, I have the biggest otter shack and I like it, but I am looking for something when I am out farm ponding it and alone or with my 2 boys. Looking for lightweight shacks that are easy to carry yet durable and will hold up. I am not worried about holding heat in, just blocking the light breezes that cool you off fast.

Ryan Schwartz

Have owned Eskimo and Clam hubs. Other than a snapped pole that happened on my Eskimo Quickfish 3 when I first got it, I don’t have too many issues with either brand. The Clam hubs might fold up a little easier and get into the bag.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just picked up a Clam C-560 thermal. 3-4 man hub. It’s my first hub, though I’ve fished out of most of them. I haven’t seen any first hand negatives on most brands hubs I’ve fished out of so we will see how it is owning one.

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

I just bought the Otter Vortex Pro Lodge. I have yet to unbox it but I was surprised because I thought it was going to be heavier than it is. I was torn between the Otter and the Eskimo 450XD but I was sold on the Otter after learning the Eskimo has a stuff bag instead of a zipper bag. When talking to the Scheels guy he had feedback that resolidified my choice. He’s heard complaints from guys who have gotten the Eskimo and have had to deal with the bag

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.