legally Who is Responsible?

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If a tree on my property falls onto the neighbors property (storm damage), who is responsible for clearing it up?

Brad Dimond

Neighbor. If you like them, lend a hand.

MX1825

I’m not sure WHO is responsible but I would think the right thing to do would be for you to clean up your tree. Any damages let insurance companies fight it out.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Depends if it’s a dead tree that should have been cut down or a live healthy one.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Both of you.

Don’t be so much concerned about the legality vs whats right. However, if it’s a bad neighbor or a ex-wife (same thing) it then becomes a karma thing and you can extract your pound of revenge. toast

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

When the neighbors tree fell on our house (2013) it was our insurance that paid. The tree came down in a storm, it was not dead but being a basswood it was rotting on the inside.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

“LEGALLY WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?”

Your neighbor

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m not sure WHO is responsible but I would think the right thing to do would be for you to clean up your tree. Any damages let insurance companies fight it out.

I’m with this. I always put my self in the other guys shoes.

djshannon
    Crosslake

You are both responsible. Your responsibility ends at the property line.

Your home owners insurance considers it an act of god … and as long it hasn’t done any damage to personal property they have no financial responsibility to pay for any clean up costs.

The last two storms in my area is costing me more than $6000 in clean up costs. One of my neighbors had over 30 trees down, his chain saw has been running every day since the last holiday…. I choose to pay….he chose to work…

stevenoak

My tree neighbor yard, or vice versa. I’m usually the first one out there. If they are able to help or not. Even neighbors tree, neighbors yard. Alway prefer to not bring anything to what’s legal with a good neighbor. Far as insurance, grey areas can define a good insurance company. Last big storm we had. My company paid to remove all the trees that were on my house, and deck and $600 Max. for the yard. Would have probably cost them over $5,000. As all tree services were over a month out, and I didn’t have power at my business for 4 days. I agreed to do it for $2800. Paid for a 12′ dump trailer I just bought. Took me 2 or 3 days, beats my day job. Guy up the hill called his “Good Neighbor” insurance company. They not only denied the tree clean up. They denied the roof/house damage. Because the tree was allowed to grow too large and had some rot that wasn’t visible till it broke. In their opinion should have been cut down prior to the storm.

Justin riegel

Depends if it’s a dead tree that should have been cut down or a live healthy one.

This and it must be known by all involved the tree was dead/dying

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.