Led lights on rod rack

• Pitter patter
    Participant

Would like to add some 6 inch LED lights to top and bottom of rod rack on back of boat. Hard wired to navigation lights. Is that legal? Just enough to illuminate back deck of boat and rod on top of rod rack

Pitter patter
    Participant

Confused on the regs but the way I understand it when anchored all vessels are required to display a white light visible from all directions so a few leds on rod rack be ok I guess?

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

Would like to add some 6 inch LED lights to top and bottom of rod rack on back of boat. Hard wired to navigation lights. Is that legal? Just enough to illuminate back deck of boat and rod on top of rod rack

As long as the additional lights cannot be mistaken for navigation lights, I don’t see an issue. I wouldn’t be the one writing a citation if there is an issue, so I’m not the one to ask. Check with you local DNR officer.

MNdrifter
    Participant

I always wondered how launches get away with shining those bright lights on the water on Mille Lacs during night trips? There’s no doubt it attracts fish. I’ve noticed that if your bobber drifts outside the lights, you should reel in and cast out closer to the boat. I’ve seen monster leeches swim by the launch just under the surface of the water on several occasions.

Pitter patter
    Participant

Maybe I’ll just put some light strips under the gunnels, no need to worry about blinding myself or others with unnecessary light and use headlamps to watch rods

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I wired in lights that are on there own circuit, I can flip on and off when needed

Pitter patter
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pitter patter wrote:</div>

As long as the additional lights cannot be mistaken for navigation lights, I don’t see an issue. I wouldn’t be the one writing a citation if there is an issue, so I’m not the one to ask. Check with you local DNR officer.

blue lights then so not to mistake them for navigation lights?

Pitter patter
    Participant

I wired in lights that are on there own circuit, I can flip on and off when needed

good idea think that’s what I’m going to do

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

blue lights then so not to mistake them for navigation lights?

Check with you local DNR officer.

Lou W
    Participant

I put 4 leds under the gunnels of my Trophy. One under each corner of the gunnels in the front console and one under each corner of the rear area. The lights are tucked under so you never can look directly at the led. Saves night vision. It’s just enough to see to tie a know or unhook/un net a fish. They are on a separate switch, no way I want them on unless absolutely needed.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I put 4 leds under the gunnels of my Trophy. One under each corner of the gunnels in the front console and one under each corner of the rear area. The lights are tucked under so you never can look directly at the led. Saves night vision. It’s just enough to see to tie a know or unhook/un net a fish. They are on a separate switch, no way I want them on unless absolutely needed.

Basically same set up I did

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.