LED garage bulbs

• ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Was in Costco the other day. Walked by some LED bulbs that have 3 panels to replace the single bulbs Ive had in the garage which is kinda dark even with the lights on. What a difference. I might need to wear sunscreen in the garage now. They are bright as can be. I can get rid of the light I have clamped on the truss above my boat

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I got me a handfull of those. They are bad a$$.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I bought 6 of the 4 foot Hyper tough LED at walmart that are supposed to be 5000 lumen and put them in the 28 x 36 garage and it is almost as good as daylight in there

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I bought some and was not impressed to many shadows. Went back to led strip lights.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Sounds like the ones I have. I think they work well also.

Attachments:
    1. 7909FD53-E97E-45E5-ADE3-393676EB6FAB-scaled.jpeg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have the same in my garage, funny this came up I just changed mine out last night as the one I installed took a crap. I like them but that one only lasted 4-6 months, I wonder if they don’t like the cold?

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Do you remember what brand they were? I need some of those for my garage. Can’t see $hit in there.

j

ThunderLund78

Been meaning to get a few as well. I was going to climb up in my attic and run some wire for more fixtures – but if this gets me even close to hanging additional lights, I’ll take it. They don’t seem too spendy, either.

queenswake
    NULL

I put up the long LED light boxes also got from Costco that I got a few years ago. Agree that you can never go back to normal light after having that. What I like most about mine is that they are motion-activated so they are instantly on no matter what door I go through or what I’m carrying at the time.

I also have the same in my basement workshop and once again, you can never go back to normal light.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I replaced one of the 3 bulbs in my garage with one. I like it. Still have 2
    300 Watt regular bulbs in the other sockets.

Umy
    South Metro

Sounds like the ones I have. I think they work well also.

Those look like mine. LOVE THEM! i have a motion detector in my garage so soon as I open the door they come on, turn themselves off too.
    Nice being able to see out there now.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d caution diving all in on these. My dad has high ceilings in his garage so I climbed up with 3 of these and set them up. The idea is great and the light they throw is amazing, but the execution on manufacturing was terrible. 2/3 of his did not last 3 months. I went back and moved his remaining working one to a back room in his basement. He told me a couple days ago that one failed too. Collectively he did not have any make it more than 4 months in environments that never get below 45 degrees. I’d be willing to pay substantially more if they could guarantee one that would last a few years at a crack.

In my garage I just wired a few Menards LED fixtures on the ceiling that throw off considerable light against the white gloss. They are going on their 4th year without hiccup at about $30 a piece.

picklerick
    Central WI

My father in law just gave me a Bell+Howell one that I put in the garage about a week ago. It definitely helped but we’ll see how long it lasts.

CaptainMusky

My father in law just gave me a Bell+Howell one that I put in the garage about a week ago. It definitely helped but we’ll see how long it lasts.

I have 2 of these in my garage and they are going on a year or so. I am going to replace the other two bulbs with these same lights.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Mine are over 6 months old now. I have 2 of them my FIL gave me. Any other bulb I’ve used in my garage don’t seem to last more than 3 – 4 months. So far so good. I’m sure I jinxed myself now.

DFP
    Haverhill Iowa

I have slowly been changing out incandescent 200 and 300 watts bulbs out of my garage. I’ve switched to GT-Lite 5000 Lumen LED. 300 watt equivalent only using 50 watts. I’ve had some installed now for approximately 1 1/2 yrs. No problems so far. I’ve been getting them at Menards. I’ve recently noticed there is a newer version of this light that is coned shape. It states that it puts out more lumens than the style I have now and uses less watts. Plan to pick up a couple. My garage is heated so the super cold temps are not an issue. I plan to use these same lights in my steel building that is not insulated or heated. I have family that has been using the original GT-Lite 5000 in their semi-truck storage buildings that are not heated. Sounds like overall the extreme cold hasn’t had much of an affect on them. Just talked with one of the nephews recently and he said also that the lights have been in over a year or better. They are on alot, and are just starting to see some partial failures in some bulbs.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve never had problems with cold and LEDs. I’ve had them in my unheated garage and outside fixtures for 4-5 years and haven’t had a single one die yet.

I have had indoor ones die prematurely. I think sometimes you just get a dud.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Have some of those in the seed storage shed and I love them. Can finally see something in there, those things turned a cave into a well-lit space.

I like them but that one only lasted 4-6 months, I wonder if they don’t like the cold?

I like them but that one only lasted 4-6 months, I wonder if they don’t like the cold?

IMO it’s the constant on/off cycles that kill LEDs. Once I started just turning them on in the morning and off when I’m done for the day instead of constant on/off throughout the day, the LED bulbs last virtually forever. Haven’t replaced a garage or shed bulb since I started doing this.

Grouse

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.