Leadcore question

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

I have a question about tying leadcore. So when you go from leadcore to your leader do you put a swivel or just the knot? Then at the bait do you just tie straight to lure, use a snap or use a swivel? Please and Thank you for the help.

Smellson

On my rods with suffix advanced leadcore, I use the smallest swivel I can find. On standard leadcorde, no swivel. The swivel for two reasons. 1. it’s basically impossible to tie a Willis knot with the thinner leadcore sheets and 2. The advanced leadcore gets destroyed if the line starts to twist…. I always use a snap at my lure.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

I’m a ML guy so I have either 3 or 4 colors on a rod. I start with a heavy (20 lb) XT backing. I use back to back uni-knots w/ 6 to 8 inches of the core stripped out. Thus the line will feed through the eyelets on the rods and I have a good mono to clip to boards too.
    I use long mono leaders, 10′ min. Again lead core broke off and back to back uni- knots. I use small cross lock or duolock type snaps for leader to crank connection.
    Line twist has never been an issue for me. I have had leaders show twist but I just pull on them to have them spin it out.
    No swivel.

ryan hunt

I use a small ant swivel to go from the leadcore to a flouro leader. Then i use a vmc crankbait snap to to go from the flouro to the lure. Alot of people run a uni to uni knot from the leadcore to the flouro leader. I prefer the swivel, make sure to use a swivel that will run through the eyes of the rod and into the reel. When tying from the leadcore to the swivel, pull the braided portion back a few inches or more, snip the lead out and then you are just tying braid to the swivel. Dependent on water clarity that you are fishing will determine the amount of flouro leader you will want to run. Clear water lakes i will run 30 feet of flouro from the leadcore to the lure for a leader.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I never run swivels between my core and the leader. I use the Willis knot Whenever possible. When using thicker leader line I use an Alberto knot. A big fish could tear guides off or rod or simply break the line if that swivel gets jammed in your guides.

You can tie your leader to your lure but often times I add swivel to a shorter leader. There I can change the line weight so that I can get optimal lure action or I can upgrade to a thicker line for strength. Whatever is needed that day. I use my lead core setups on the Great Lakes and inland lakes for walleyes.

Musky Ed

I always use a Willis knot,this is for Lake Michigan trolling though, with #27 leadcore. Very simple to do and foolproof. One trick is to cut your mono line at a 45 deg angle before inserting, and also I sometimes double knot. You virtually do not even know a knot is on your line. Never tried it with walleye sized leadcore line, might be tough to do.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

On my rods with suffix advanced leadcore, I use the smallest swivel I can find. On standard leadcorde, no swivel. The swivel for two reasons. 1. it’s basically impossible to tie a Willis knot with the thinner leadcore sheets and 2. The advanced leadcore gets destroyed if the line starts to twist…. I always use a snap at my lure.

I use this same program. I generally run a 50’ leader on lakes so when I hear that swivel come through the eyes of the rod I know it’s time to grab the net.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.