Latest info on record flooding

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Friends … the latest NOAA/NWS weekly forecasts for Rainy and Namakan Lakes were released today. It’s heartbreaking to deliver this message.
    * Rainy Lake is projected to rise 11-13 more inches over the next week, and rise through mid-June and likely break the all-time record high-level of 1950.
    * Namakan Lake is projected to rise 5-7 inches more next week, and possibly continue to rise into mid-June. At this rate, Namakan Lake will reach the all-time record high level set in 1916.
    * A wet weather pattern is projected for Sunday through Wednesday that could drop 1 to 3 inches of rain throughout the basin. This is driving the above forecasts.
    * Once peak levels have passed, it will take a long time (weeks) for lake levels to fall to anything close to normal summer levels. Areas experiencing flooding and performing mitigation measures should expect to deal with high water levels for the foreseeable future.
    * More at https://www.weather.gov/dlh/RainyRiverBasin
    None of this is good news. There are signs, however, that levels will crest in the coming weeks. The headwater streams and large tributaries have peaked and are now on the decline due to dryer weather. But until net inflows from upstream sources fall below outflows through Rainy River and the dam, unfortunately we remain on the path to higher water levels for now.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

But at least us younger folks can talk about the old days and how high the lake used to get. Should make some great mosquitoes breading areas.

Erik Swenson

Wow. Godspeed to the folks that have property and businesses in and around the affected areas.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is something. Especially after historic drought and wildfires last season. Didn’t take long to get out of that drought.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

That is something. Especially after historic drought and wildfires last season. Didn’t take long to get out of that drought.

Minnesota can’t do anything in moderation. We’re either begging for rain, or drowning!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Wow that’s a very tough situation. Hopefully I am completely wrong, but I can’t imagine many of the people in those areas carry flood insurance meaning they will be left footing 100% of the bill to rebuild/replace.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Hopefully I am completely wrong, but I can’t imagine many of the people in those areas carry flood insurance meaning they will be left footing 100% of the bill to rebuild/replace.

I would imagine that most if not all of the residents on the US side who actually live on a lake or river system carry flood insurance. Its probably mandatory. And if its not, you’d have to be pretty stupid not to have it.

CaptainMusky

Minnesota can’t do anything in moderation. We’re either begging for rain, or drowning!

You know what they say about Minnesota weather! If you dont like the weather today, wait til tomorrow.
    It really is something how the situation has reversed so severely. I mean as much of a drought we were in, now all the excess.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Mother Nature has been rather ANGRY and UNKIND to Minnesota in the last year.

Red Eye

Just talked to park ranger. Rainy is predicted to keep rising till mid june. The closures are going to be extended in the nxt couple days.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wow. Godspeed to the folks that have property and businesses in and around the affected areas.

No doubt, I have some friends in iFalls and they’ve been posting pics on FB. Just devastating.

marbleeyes24 (Larry)
    Nevis

We have our trip starting June 4th. Are they considering shutting down the park completely?

marbleeyes24 (Larry)
    Nevis

Just talked to park ranger. Rainy is predicted to keep rising till mid june. The closures are going to be extended in the nxt couple days.

We have our trip starting June 4th. Are they considering shutting down the park completely?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I haven’t heard anything about that yet, but we are literally in unchartered territory. In 2014 they kept it open, but even those levels are in the rear view now unfortunately. We have a HB trip leaving July 6th and it’s way too early to tell, but I think it’s a possibility that will be cancelled.

CaptainMusky

I suppose they cannot open the flood gates too much as it would make it even worse down stream. Man what a tragic turn of events.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There are many houses downstream of I-Falls so your are correct they can’t allow more water out without threatening those houses. It’s a dire situation for many homes and the businesses are also taking a hit with clients cancelling. This disaster hits everybody up here as it’s a tourist reliant economy once you get past the paper mill. Walz needs to send more help than what he has but I suppose he realizes he has few votes up here anyway. If the region gets the additional 3″ of rain they are talking about it will be game on. If it should miss us then the lake level will start dropping dramatically. I would be leery about June trips but I think July will be ok.

No matter what there will be tons of floating debris to contend with.

Red Eye

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Red Eye wrote:</div>

He did not mention shutting the park down. He did say barring more rain lake probably wouldn’t get back to normal until mid July for sure. They figure crest on rainy mid june. Stay there for a couple days then begin to recede.
    Our trip is toast. We camp at R20 Lost Bay. I’m sure right now it is completely underwater. He said there are campsites you can literally boat through right now.

nu98walleye

https://www.nps.gov/voya/planyourvisit/permitsandreservations.htm

There is a list of sites considered flooded and temporary closed on the voyagers website effective May 19th – June 1st. I would guess with the continued rise of the lakes the effective dates will be extended and additional campsites added.

I have a site for June 8th thru the 12th on rainy which is currently not on the list. We have not cancelled at this point but are leaning that way even if the site is not closed by the park due to additional hazards created by the high water.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.