Late July Kab Report

• mnfisherman18

Just got back from a few days up on Kab, this year was definitely better fishing than the last 2. Boat traffic was down overall, and 2 days of major wind was forcing everyone to fish protected spots. Water seems to be back down to fairly normal levels.

We caught a wide range of sizes, anything from 9″ to 24″ (we always top out right around 24″, have never caught a really big one up there) with many fish in that 12″-14″ range and 18″-21″. Not breaking any new ground here, but bouncers and spinners on mid-lake structure or trolled around islands were productive.

Did not detect a color preference, but leeches were better than crawlers. Fish were scattered most of the time, but did manage to get on a school during a rain storm and did well on bobbers. Also casted islands/shorelines for about 4 hours and it was extremely unproductive this year, just small pike to show for it, so we went back out deeper.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

This is a great example of how diverse that fishery is. There’s always fish biting in many different areas/ depths throughout the lake.
    I was up last week also. Fishing was good though it seemed the walleyes were constantly moving due to the ever changing weather and wind directions.
    I had 1 day that I did well fishing deeper structures and reefs. Otherwise that bite never really took off for me.
    I did much better fishing shallow. 6-8ft of water with wind blowing in. Trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling salmo hornets both provided good action for walleyes, pike, bass, and even a couple stray crappies. I also found a wide variety of walleye sizes from 10″ up to 25″
    It was another great trip to the cabin and I can’t wait until September to get back.

mnfisherman18

Nice report Grubson, glad to hear you found a shallow bite too. Its definitely a diverse fishery with multiple patterns going in various areas of the lake.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Here on Namakan right now with the FW since Sunday noon, camping on the Wolf Pack islands. Limited on Monday morning on leech/lindy in 25’. Caught 9 today between 11:30-1:30 on a different reef with half/half crawler/leech and lindy from 20-30. Biggest was 23. All the rest 13-18”.
    Water is 70 main lake today. Fished smallies this afternoon with limited fish shallow.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Back from Namakan yesterday afternoon.
    Finished the week with good fishing every time we went out.
    Top smallies were 19.5 and 18.5, eye was the 23.
    Caught eyes all week on the rocks in 18-28 depending on the weather. Had cool and a bit of rain all week. Water was still 70 when we left. Most fish were 14-18, except the last day we caught 17 under 14’s out of the 21 we caught.
    Crawlers and leeches were equal all week. Leeches got the big smallies.

Will be back in 2.5 weeks for another 5 days on Namakan on he annual guys trip. Lost one of the crew last year so it’ll be a bit strange this year (he had a big personality).

Ron F
    Rochester MN

Thanks for the reports! We will be camping on Namakan starting Saturday. Did you pull spinners or just straight lindy rig? We seem to favor spinners but then again some days we don’t catch much!

Erik Swenson

Here on Namakan right now with the FW since Sunday noon, camping on the Wolf Pack islands. Limited on Monday morning on leech/lindy in 25’. Caught 9 today between 11:30-1:30 on a different reef with half/half crawler/leech and lindy from 20-30. Biggest was 23. All the rest 13-18”.
    Water is 70 main lake today. Fished smallies this afternoon with limited fish shallow.

Nice! Me and a buddy are hammock camping at Wolf Pack East at the end of Sept into Oct. Can’t wait!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nice! Me and a buddy are hammock camping at Wolf Pack East at the end of Sept into Oct. Can’t wait!

[/quote]

You won’t need to burn much gas once you get there.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Thanks for the reports! We will be camping on Namakan starting Saturday. Did you pull spinners or just straight lindy rig? We seem to favor spinners but then again some days we don’t catch much!

We just pulled lindys. FW pulled double hook with crawler and I fished leeches. Drifted with the wind a lot, using the TM to slow us down to 0.5ish. Lots of 10-15 SW winds last week.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.