Lame zumbro water temp?

• Tanner C.

Anyone been on the lake recently and have an idea of the water temp?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Water temps have been all over this spring. As mentioned, we had 59 degree water right up to when we came off the water at 11:15 or so. I usually take a reading down at 6 feet or so but didn’t yesterday. The surface reading was constantly between 59.4 and 59.9 but changed quickly within that spread depending on where you were. At about 10:00 if we were on an up-wind area with bright sun we’d see the upper 59 degree stuff. If we were out of the wind we’d be at the lower end of the spread. The area we fished had plenty of wind.

We didn’t see a fish that was oozing milt nor did we see a fish that was running spawn. We each kept 5 fish. Two of the 5 I kept were hen fish and both were a ways from being ready, egg-wise. The males testes had not swollen yet and the males haven’t really darkened up much, maybe a little around the gills and face areas. The fish were starting to show up in typical staging areas and they hit shallow baits ok but the numbers were not super strong yet so lots of fish are still holding in deeper water, in fact a couple of fish were taken while the boat was over deeper [+14′] water and a line was left hanging in the water while doing something else. While I don’t think we can call this the “spawn”, the fishing is pretty decent right now.

Plastics was all we used and bait color was a thing yesterday…a couple colors stood out pretty well while others we tried were duds.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.