Lake Wisconsin Crappies

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Spent Saturday and Sunday on the lake.

Saturday was rough, windy & cold and the bite mirrored the weather. Sunday was much, much nicer and the fished appeared to like the appearance of the Sun as much as we did.

Saturday we saw water temps of 48-49 degrees in most of the bays and the main lake. That’s a good 10-12 degrees below normal for the first week of May. By the end of the day on Saturday, the water had warmed up only a degree or two.

Sunday morning water temps started out at about 49 degrees on average and ended up around 52-53 degrees in the bays. We didn’t kill them by any means but we did find enough fish to make it worth while on Sunday.

With warmer weather predicted for this week, I would say things should improve quite a bit.

Biggest crappie today was 15″ long.

Special Thanks to all my clients this weekend as they were great to share a boat with.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Nice report Joel….. figured you would be out chasing those slabs sooner or later. Temps can’t stay in the basement forever. Got to be hard to decide between going after them, or the walleye/ sauger bite that should be building at the north end.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Wow. Those are some nice slabs. But what is that strange looking one in the middle.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Thanks for the crappie report! I was just thinking it was time to burn a vacation day and give myself a birthday fishing trip!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Nice report Joel….. figured you would be out chasing those slabs sooner or later. Temps can’t stay in the basement forever. Got to be hard to decide between going after them, or the walleye/ sauger bite that should be building at the north end.

Last weekend wasn’t to much of a problem deciding what to fish for since most of the walleyes still seem to be up river somewhere.

This weekend though, I hope to spend half of each day chasing both. That could change depending on what we find Saturday.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Thanks for the crappie report! I was just thinking it was time to burn a vacation day and give myself a birthday fishing trip!

Go get-em Art!
    If you do go, I would love to hear how it goes.
    Hopefully, a lot like last year.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Rumor has it someone bought a new boat, any pictures?

Here you go.

castle-rock-clown

That sure is a beauty…even with that evil snow in the background.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I’m heading up Monday the 12th.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.