Lakes by Big Sandy

• tim hurley

Our usual June trip got put off till July. We will go for pannies mostly, might try the Mississippi or Sandy itself. Friend has a place on the Prairie river and we have only barely fished it-does anyone have info on the Prairie? Would imagine stuff is deeper, and the mid-day bite might be a bit slow.
    Thanks

tim hurley

Hellloooo!!!!! Wake up A&M site! Nothing here for a month! Sand Burr where are you?

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Good afternoon Tim!

Yes, they are fishing in just about every spot on Big Sandy and surrounding lakes. You’re definitely not the only one with the summer off this year. The lake has been packed every weekend. Around the 4th the amount of people even knocked out the cell service. There are plenty of fish on the Prairie but I would venture to the mouth of the river and concentrate there. The bite right now is live bait over the rock piles in the morning and evening. Deeper water during the mid-day. There is no shortage of recreational boats and they seam to stay out later and later. Ive kept the reports down because Im not sure the are can handle the population. Started with signs coming into town to remarks at the grocery store. Letting things settle down. Other lakes around… of course but you’ll have to break my arm and leg to put them on the internet. They cant handle things like that. I will say the Minnewawa is putting some nice eyes in the boat!

Shannon

Eric Simpson

Hey Shannon. I heard it was crazy over there on Big Sandy but didn’t think it was that busy! Lol. I’m more of a Minnewawa guy these days….do you have any tips for Minnewawa and some eyes? I’m struggling over here. Thanks!

tim hurley

Thanks for the help SB-Metro lakes are crazy this year too, if we go we always go like Monday-wed. that probably helps a bit. Here in the metro I arrived at a lake before dawn and their were people at the launch-Dang!But weekdays are a little better.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I’ve actually been going up on Thursday nights just to get away from the traffic on 65. Some of that is due to the hwy 47 closure. I work from home so it really doesn’t matter where I’m working. My fat butt doesn’t do well in a camper bench seat all day. Yes, clears out sunday by 3pm.

Eric,
    Its crank season for me. A husky jerk can locate some fish pretty quickly.

Eric Simpson

Yeah, the traffic can stack up in front of you pretty quick. Even passing a couple cars doesn’t matter much….and honestly driving a few MPH faster really won’t save much time. So for the trolling, are you just going 1-2 mph in like 9-12 feet? I found the weeds this year are stopping at about 8 or so. I’ve found a couple eyes over on the West side by the reeds but that’s really it. I’ll have to troll more and slip bobber less )
    Thanks!
    Eric

tim hurley

Are you trolling or casting SB?

Eric Simpson

Me? Mostly just sitting there slip bobbering leeches the old and slow way P I’ve trolled a little but with mixed results. I need dig out the husky jerks!
    Eric

tim hurley

You are ‘ES” Sand Bur is SB, thanks though Eric maybe we will see you up there, we like Wawa for crappies.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

ES/TH,
    Trolling them as close to the weed edge as possible. 1.8 – 2.1 and having a line counter will help dial things in, start at 100ft. A Hummingbird helix with side imaging will seal the deal. If not use the old noggin. Troll until you hook up. You will have to weed through some pike. Start making weigh points where you caught the eyes and make a trolling pattern. If you have multiple people have them at different distances and colors. If you dont have a line counter use the pull method. Drop lure in water till it bites then drop your tip to the back of the boat and pull to the front. Figure about 12ft per pull. This should get you in there.

Give it a shot and let me know how you do! Lets have a beer sometime guys!

Shannon

Eric Simpson

SB, thanks for great info!!! I will implement ASAP.
    Thanks!
    Eric

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Didn’t hear you say we should go to Round Lake and have a Bloody!

Eric Simpson

It worked 🙂. Threw the husky jerk, started trolling at about 1.8 or so in 9 feet of water and got it right away. 20 inches. But that’s it, LOL. Just one for the night. If it doesn’t rain all day tomorrow I’ll be back out…. thanks again!

Eric Simpson

It worked 🙂. Threw the husky jerk, started trolling at about 1.8 or so in 9 feet of water and got it right away. 20 inches. But that’s it, LOL. Just one for the night. If it doesn’t rain all day tomorrow I’ll be back out…. thanks again!

Eric Simpson

Awesome Tim. Today was a different story though… One sunny and a couple pike for 6 hours. There’s always tomorrow 🙂

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Put more people in the boat and try more colors! Blue silver is a wiz bang.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

When you hit a spot that produces aggressive sunnys you should turn around and hit it with bobbers.

Eric Simpson

It’s time for ice fishing! I’ve been out the past 3 weekends and did well enough on panfish but this weekend I tried the narrows specifically for walleye with only 2 small pike, typical Minnewawa, lol. SB/TH you guys have any direction for early ice walleye? I thought maybe 6-10 foot transitions would be good but no luck. Any help is appreciated!

tim hurley

We mostly fish pannies up there, for me if i were to ice fish Walters I would either scout in the fall (post turnover) mark some stuff or hire a guide or just thank God that I’m being blessed with beautiful panfish- Good Luck!

Eric Simpson

Thanks Tim. So far this year I’ve tried the Narrows and then the point mid lake out from the launch by Banns. Maybe they’re deeper than I think….Good luck.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.