Lake Zumbro Water Temp

• Bill Cadwell
    Participant

Has anyone been out fishing and know what the water temp is on Lake Zumbro?

isu22andy
    Participant

Yesterday the lake was all no wake due to high water . Did not check water temp just driving by .

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

I can tell ya tomorrow.

The upper lake is really dirty. It starts to clear out near the old barn foundation off Postier’s Point. A week ago we had 57 degrees, but then all the rain and cooler temps with a lot of wind didn’t help much. Ryan’s Bay yesterday was putting out a few fish.

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

Here you go Bill.

We fished from Fisherman’s landing to Ryans Bay. Water temps ranged from 54 degrees in the Fisherman’s basin to 58 inside a small, protected area. We caught crappies everywhere we went and the average surface water temp where fish were taken was about 56.9 degrees. The drop down thermometer showed the water temp at 8 feet to be right about 53 degrees and this is the big issue with catching numbers of fish yet. With all the rain, wind, clouds, dirty water and cool over night temps there isn’t enough residual heat in the water from the day before to push down deep where we need some temp stability to develop.

We fished no deeper than 3.5 feet and caught all of our fish where shoreline shallows met the break into deeper water. Not shallower, not six feet away over deep water. Right at the break. Vertical stuff held fish today if you fished tight to it and there was at least five feet of water. Shorelines with large rock extending down into the water were the best producing areas.

We brought home 8: 7 males and a hen. The larger of the fish were 11″. The smallest we kept was about 10 but that fish had the jig deep in the gullet and was bleeding when it hit the boat.

The female’s spawn was in no way ready: firm and tight in the skeins. The males were still under-developed and no spraying was seen.

All blacks today except for one smaller white.

Dirty water was found all the way into Ryan’s Bay and by dirty I mean like 6″ of jig visibility. The lake is about 1.75 feet over normal pool and in most areas significant current was noticed.

No bait, all plastic today. Junebug/chartreuse tail was the color on 1/16 purple heads, no eyes.

We eft at 1130 and I’d imagine that the water picked up a couple degrees this afternoon and also think that crappies might move into some shallow areas by early evening but will likely move back deep as the nighttime water cools again.

Tofay is very nice except for the smoke haze hampering the sun a little. The rest of the week until Thursday is supposed to be nice so maybe things will begin to turn around.

Good fishing Bill. Welcome back!

Bill Cadwell
    Participant

THANKS BUDDY. Like WOW!!! What a report. Thanks. Been waiting for warmer water temps as my old fishing buddy is coming up from Iowa whenever I give him the call that both Lake Zumbro and Lake Pepin is hot. THANKS.

Bill Cadwell
    Participant

The water temp over the past few days has been 69 to 70 degrees. Crappies were more than willing to bite where there was rocks and also out in the open water. The bluegills are in the spawning mood so good action is coming with them. Casting to sand and weeds we found some largemouth bass, not many but a few. Even the northerns would show up close to the shoreline. Lots of fun for a guy who hadn’t been down there for a year and for many years prior to that. Everything was released to be caught again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.