lake zumbro crappies

• The SCRATCHER
    Participant
    spring valley mn

any info on water temp? or if the crappie are in shallow yet? thank you for any info

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

Tom Sawvell posted a pretty great summary of the lake from the weekend in the Rochester forum.

Here

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ll assume the water temp has gotten into the 60’s by now and crappies are perhaps in the shallows doing their thing…at least some of them will be.

The over-all size of the fish is a bit disappointing though in that very few, and I do mean VERY few, of the fish I’ve caught or seen caught have touched 13″.11″ is actually a large crappie now.

On a sunfish note, I caught two sunfish on Monday and neither topped 8″. We didn’t see a lick of sunfish activity aside from the two caught and as a rule they should have been in the same general area that we fished. The higher water level too has been slow to drop too due to a log jammed in the intake screen of one of the turbines at the dam. The water level though I don’t feel has much to do with what I have voiced as a concern.

Its been a fickle spring on the Zum so hopefully the spawn can go without being washed out or have silt smother nests. Some stable weather should get the activity levels normal and the next week looks promising.

tim hurley
    Participant

So too many people eating 13s probably-In this state it takes a long time to grow a 13, some places it could take more than a decade.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.