Lake Trout – Mine Pits

• futurepoorperson
    Participant

Has anyone attempted ice fishing any of the mine pits in Crosby,MN area.
    Supposedly the DNR stock these & they open up to Ice- fishing mid January.
    DNR also noted Live minnows are prohibited in mine lakes. Dead minnows are allowed.

Be neat to try out.

dirtywater
    Participant

We fished Pennington and into the Mahnomen chain once this summer and came up empty. There aren’t a ton of catchable fish in the system yet, they just started stocking in 2019. They stock in Pennington, but the fish can move thru the chain and they have a lot of room right now. 10mph limit on the lake also means you can’t fly around looking for spots, so we pretty much just trolled. The water is VERY clear.

DNR plan is to stock yearlings in odd-numbered years with the goal of having a special regulation in place within the next year or so to protect fish until they are 22.” Some surplus adults will be stocked opportunistically if they are available. The plan is to stock at least through 2031 and evaluate as they go. That’s all directly from Brainerd fisheries supervisor Mike Knapp. In 5-6 years it could be a solid fishery. It’s always nice to have laker opportunities that aren’t all the way up in the Arrowhead.

futurepoorperson
    Participant

Very informative.
    Hopefully they survive, grow healthy & reproduce per there timelines.

So what species of trout are they stocking ?

dirtywater
    Participant

They’ve been stocking rainbows for at least 10 years, lakers just started in ’19. (Odd years only so no 2020 stocking of lakers.)

I just checked again. Total of 328 adult lakers have been stocked, so like I said they’ll be tough to target at this point but fingers crossed for the future.

You might find this useful too!

futurepoorperson
    Participant

Yes be patient.

Rainbows would even be fun to target, with the bonus opportunity of a Laker.
    I would certainly catch & release , but with that being said. How deep are these mine pits, assuming these fish are deep ?

dirtywater
    Participant

Pennington is 260 feet deep.

The ‘bows are essentially put-and-take resource and they’re pumping 15,000 of them in there every year. I wouldn’t hesitate to keep a limit if that’s your thing.

futurepoorperson
    Participant

Appreciate the input, this will be on the bucket list this season once it open in January.

Billy J
    Participant

I have fish Manuel mine pit in Crosby MN for rainbows the last few years, Fun bite their decent size bows, and their a few big ones in there two.

Charles
    Participant

Don’t go up any time soon, still open water lol.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.