Lake Temperature

• fishingallday

Anyone know what the water temp on Osakis is at right now?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Amelia was 39 when I left today.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Don’t know for sure because I have everything pulled out of the water but I would guess mid to upper 30’s. Haven’t seen any shore ice yet. I did notice today that the pond at Head of the Lakes resort that comes off of Little Osakis was iced over.

deertracker

I’ll let you know when I break the ice open next week to duck hunt…. coffee
    DT

fishingallday

Looks like it should be a good week to cool down the water on some lakes where it needs to be and maybe start forming ice on the shore soon.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

The ice we had is disappearing fast today. The SE wind is wiping it out. I had ice out for about 150 feet this morning. There is about 30 feet left now. Supposed to be 40 degrees tomorrow with maybe some sprinkles. Don’t think I’ll be walking out by Thanksgiving weekend.

deertracker

I know Reno froze over again last night but it was pretty warm today. Luckily the wind was light. As of two days ago Osakis was ice free again.
    DT

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Osakis gained some ice last night when it was relatively calm. Lost some of it today. Expect to lose some more tomorrow with 46 degrees and windy.

fishingallday

Any updates that anyone knows? Person I know walked out a 100 yards last Friday and said there was about 3 inches but he didn’t go out any further.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

It pretty much locked up a week ago. It has been holding up fairly well with the weather we have been having. The warm air, rain, and high winds have been hard on it. A lot of freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw going on. Not good enough for me to go out yet. Had about a foot of open water along my shore yesterday. Sounds like next week is going to be cold and should start to thicken it up. Haven’t seen anyone out yet.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I walked about 100 yards out in front of my cabin this weekend and the ice there was fine. It was completely locked as far as I could see on the south side. I wouldn’t have ventured out to much farther because you could clearly see the line where the ice got worse. If I had my gear with I would have gone out, drilled some holes, and explored a little more

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Saw one portable about 100 feet out from the Manthey’s Bay access around noon today. Saw two people go out on the north side of Battle Point Saturday late afternoon. They didn’t go out very far. Still scattered spots of open water here and there on the lake. This wind isn’t allowing some areas to lock up.

fishingallday

Thanks for the report. Are the open spots taht you can see in the main part of the lake or all over?

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

The open spots that I could see were here and there. I didn’t take all the side roads so I couldn’t check every nook and cranny but I did hit some high spots where I could get a good view of the lake. The south end by town had open water a couple hundred yards out from the access that ran east to about Idlewild resort and north as far as two mile, maybe farther. The area around Miller Point and south was open as far as I could see. Couldn’t tell if it went far enough south to connect with the open water from town. There were several other small areas scattered around on the main lake. There was a small area of open water on the south side of Battle Point with an open area that extended WSW from there almost to the other side. The area that was open before east and west of Holiday resort was still open. With the light winds and cool temps we are having today I would expect a lot of that open water to lock back up again.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.