Lake Pokegama water level…does it fluctuate alot?

• JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Looking to get some unofficial historical info on lake Pokegama water levels….does the lake experience High & low water levels frequently? Looking for somebody who’s owned a cabin/house on the lake for awhile, to share what they’ve witnessed. My current lake has had high water (3-5 feet higher than typical water levels) 2 out of the last 3 years resulting in me pulling all of the docks & lifts as shallow as possible, i’m getting tired of doing that…

I know Pokegama has many inlet/outlets to the Mississippi, curious if that messes with the water levels alot…

ChasinWalleye
    Participant

I’m almost positive they lower the lake in the fall to compensate for the melt in the spring. I love fishing that lake in the summer!

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

So based on that first link, 3.5′ of fluctuation last year seems like a lot…?

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

So based on that first link, 3.5′ of fluctuation last year seems like a lot…?

It is a reservoir so it is expected that the lake will rise to alleviate flooding. Lots of precip last spring.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Two weeks ago the water was up to normal levels. Last weekend driving through town the river is extremely low. Pokegama is down a good couple feet. It is usually stable during the seasons but can be subject to big changes rapidly depending on what they do at the Cohasset Dam.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.