Lake of the Woods Report – August 2022

• Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

Just got back from a week of muskies on Lake of the Woods. We fish the south/east in the Morson area between Sabaskong Bay and Miles Bay.

Water was still quite high, probably 3′ above normal pool but dropping fast. The high water made spots fish “small” and many go-to locations were no-go spots instead, with new spots producing. Water was 70-71 degrees, clear in areas with current, dirty in larger basins, and warming to mid or upper 70s in the sun.

We saw fewer fish overall than usual, and fish were scattered on more different areas than usual for August. Most strikes were actually during the retrieve rather than boatside. I think with the they were just starting to move off the summer haunts and hadn’t yet made it to deeper rock structure in any numbers yet. We caught fish from the far back end of weedy bays out to deep rock points. Bucktails, crankbaits, and topwater all produced.

Of the 19 muskies caught in our 2 boats, 7 were over 45″ and both my brother and my brother-in-law were able to nab their first 50″ers! Netting a few big ones for my brother was a special moment for sure. Great trip!

Highly recommend Mylie’s Place Resort – beautiful comfortable cabins, easy drive-to access near Baudette, great location on the lake, and resonable rates. Mylie’s Place Resort

Attachments:
    1. 2022-4.jpg

2. 2022-3.jpeg

3. 2022-2.jpg

4. 2022-1.jpg

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Of the 19 muskies caught in our 2 boats, 7 were over 45″ and both my brother and my brother-in-law were able to nab their first 50″ers! Netting a few big ones for my brother was a special moment for sure. Great trip!

Very nice. Congrats to your brother and BIL on their new trophy catches.

Bob Bowman
    Participant
    MN

Sounds like a great trip. Love the pics👍

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

Looks like a fun trip! Congrats on the trophies!

Rick Wedel
    Participant

Good trip. Are you going back in October? I am going back to the Angle this fall and will go out with Joe Cooper the first day. He has had some success jigging big tubes just off the shelf around an island in the late fall.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

Good trip. Are you going back in October? I am going back to the Angle this fall and will go out with Joe Cooper the first day. He has had some success jigging big tubes just off the shelf around an island in the late fall.

Thanks! I’m not sure yet on October trolling trip. My usual boat partner can’t go, so I’m still considering options. We also haven’t had good success trolling when there is dropping water levels / excessive current as it pushes the fish deeper, so I’ve got my eye on the outflow rates. I’m guessing it’ll still be drawing down well into winter this year.

Good luck in the Angle!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.