Lake Minnewaska

• Hatch99

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about Lake Minnewaska? I am considering buying some property there. Any information regarding the fishing and the area in general would be truly appreciated!!! Thanks! applause

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about Lake Minnewaska? I am considering buying some property there. Any information regarding the fishing and the area in general would be truly appreciated!!! Thanks! applause

i’m far from an expert on that lake but i’ve fished it once in the summer and a fair amount in the winter. its a good clean lake with lotz of structure. not sure how hard it gets during the summer months but it gets fished hard in the winter.

still it produces fish…..all the name brands…..sunfish crappies, walleyes pike and bass!!!!

good luck!!!!

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I don’t fish it weekly, maybe a few times per summer. The lake itself is full of fish, walleyes seem to cycle in numbers, summer is leadcore and spinners, there can be a shallow crank bite at night. I treat it very similar to Reno, up the road. Lots of fishing opportunities. Koep’s bait usually will point ya in the right direction. Many other small lakes nearby to dodge wind, and still have great fishing.

Location is great, short drive to Alexandria, and Glenwood right on the lake. Good bar options nearby. Plenty to do if you like to hunt as well. Beautiful area, good luck!

deertracker

Would be a Great Lake to have property on. Good walleye, crappie and bass fishing for sure. Some big smallies. Also great duck hunting.
    DT

Jason

Been there twice many years ago, kids got swimmers itch both times. Otherwise nice area.

Hatch99

Thanks to everyone for all the replies so far! Looks like I have chosen an awesome lake. I have been on Mille Lacs for the last 15 years and just can’t stand all the various rules. It is time for a change. My grandchildren are 7 and 9 now and I believe a smaller yet decent size lake is a good choice for them as well! toast

Hatch99

It was heartbreaking a couple of weeks ago when my 7 year old grandson was in tears because it was too windy to fish Mille Lacs. He is just getting into fishing this year. He is now explaining fishing to his dad! He is like a sponge and he soaks up everything I have taught him! He now goes by Captain George when he fishes instead of Eli! It is jester hilarious! grin

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You did pick a great lake. You and your grandkids are gonna have a lot of fun there. Congrats.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It was heartbreaking a couple of weeks ago when my 7 year old grandson was in tears because it was too windy to fish Mille Lacs. He is just getting into fishing this year. He is now explaining fishing to his dad! He is like a sponge and he soaks up everything I have taught him! He now goes by Captain George when he fishes instead of Eli! It is jester hilarious! grin

Sorry to hear that your grandson missed out on a fishing outing because of the wind. Minnewaska is a great fishing lake. One thing to keep in mind is this lake often also gets really rough when there is a strong East or West wind. One of the roughest water days I ever had on a inland lake was on Minnewaska. I was fishing a bass tourney there and there was boats that totally fried 36 Volt Trolling motor systems in only a few hours. At one point I had to run the big motor while my Pro partner fished just to hold the boat in a position to fish. Other than some rough water on windy days its a perfect fishing lake

tornadochaser

We have a cabin on Waska. If you’ve got any questions, feel free to hit me up.
    Your grandkids will have ENDLESS opportunities for bass and bluegills and as mentioned above, there’s good walleye fishing; plus there’s lots of sand, clear water, and space for recreation.

Hatch99

Thanks again for all of the information you shared! applause

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.