Lake Mille Lacs open-water walleye harvest proposed for 2019

• Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Not much of a surprise here… coffee

MN DNR News Release:
    February 14, 2019

State and bands agree on safe harvest level

Anglers on Lake Mille Lacs will have an opportunity to keep some walleye during the open-water fishing season this year. This follows several seasons of catch-and-release fishing on the lake.

Last year, state anglers stayed well under the lake’s safe-harvest allocation for walleyes. With an improving walleye population, the Department of Natural Resources will allow some walleye harvest when the season opens Saturday, May 11.

The DNR will announce the Mille Lacs walleye regulations for the upcoming season in mid-March.

“We’re happy to announce that, with some very conservative fishing regulations over the past three years, walleye are now at a level where we can cautiously allow anglers to start keeping some fish during the open-water season,” said DNR Commissioner Sarah Strommen.

“This is good news for anglers, Mille Lacs area businesses and the resource,” Strommen added. “I want to thank the bands for their ongoing collaboration and the Mille Lacs Fisheries Advisory Committee for its continued input and discussions with the DNR in managing the walleye fishery on Mille Lacs.”

Mille Lacs Band DNR Commissioner Bradley Harrington said, “The upward trend of the walleye population reflects the conservation efforts of both the state of Minnesota and the Ojibwe tribes with harvest rights in Mille Lacs Lake.

“While it is critical that combined harvest limits should continue to allow for the recovery of walleye, we join the state in cautious optimism about the trend in increasing spawning biomass. Within our teachings it is stated that accepting the gifts from the lake while respecting the manidoo by avoiding taking too much is the best way to honor our gifts from the creator.”

The DNR is considering allowing the walleye harvest during the cool-water periods in the spring and fall. The agency is exploring a variety of regulation options, and will be discussing the alternatives with the Mille Lacs Fisheries Advisory Committee, a group of local businesses, fishing experts and community leaders that help advise the agency on Mille Lacs fishing regulations and other issues.

The state and the bands recently agreed on a safe harvest level of 150,000 pounds of walleye, which provides a state allocation of 87,800 pounds. Under the catch-and-release only regulation last year, walleye angler kill totaled just over 47,000 pounds.

“While the walleye population is on a positive trajectory, we need to strike a careful balance between expanding harvest opportunities and conserving the fishery for future angling opportunities,” said Brad Parsons, DNR fisheries chief.

The walleye safe harvest level for Lake Mille Lacs is determined annually. It is based on population status and predictions of how harvest will affect the walleye population in the future. State anglers share the safe harvest level with eight bands of Chippewa that have fishing rights under an 1837 treaty. By agreement, the bands and the state are required to monitor harvest according to their respective allocations.

There continues to be good news about the walleye population. The improving Mille Lacs walleye population is bolstered by a 2013 year class of fish that has been protected by regulations and is just starting to produce young fish that appear to be surviving.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What do you mean no surprise? The fact that they agreed on a harvest level is a big surprise to me.

Justin riegel

What do you mean no surprise? The fact that they agreed on a harvest level is a big surprise to me.

Right, did they ever agree last year to amount, if they did it was at the end of the year.

Angler II

The DNR is considering allowing the walleye harvest during the cool-water periods in the spring and fall.

Harvest fish in the cold water periods when fish are less susceptible to hooking mortality?????

Who comes up with this?!?!?!

I also thought that surveys showed the lake was completely recovered???

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Allowing a minimal harvest in the early spring and fall seems OK to me. Frankly it wouldn’t bother me if they closed it completely or banned live bait in July and August since the mortality rate is sky high in the warm summer months.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>
    The DNR is considering allowing the walleye harvest during the cool-water periods in the spring and fall.

Harvest fish in the cold water periods when fish are less susceptible to hooking mortality?????

Who comes up with this?!?!?!

I also thought that surveys showed the lake was completely recovered???

I will go out on a limb and guess what their intent was for keeping fish only during the cool water period.

Being able to keep a fish will attract more anglers to the lake. More anglers will result in more fish hooked. There will be some sort of very restrictive slot, which will mean that a significant percentage of fish that are landed will need to go back into the lake. As you stated, released fish are more likely to survive in cooler water. When it warms up and anglers loose the option of keeping a walleye, many of them will go to other lakes. Thus, the lake will have less pressure during a part of they year when released fish are less likely to survive.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Right, did they ever agree last year to amount, if they did it was at the end of the year.

Nope they never did. Doesn’t matter since either quota wasn’t reached. Probably all just a game. I do like the fact that the DNR didn’t give in though.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

So a 150k pound harvest limit? Assuming they need to keep 50k open for C&R mortality. Were looking at a very short “keeper” season in order to keep a C&R season open all summer.

-J.

Kyhl
    Savage

So a 150k pound harvest limit? Assuming they need to keep 50k open for C&R mortality. Were looking at a very short “keeper” season in order to keep a C&R season open all summer.

-J.

Yep, I’m guessing 1 fish opener through June, then if there is anything left, 1 after labor day.

Lots of issues with the spin story.

First, three years? Do they think we are that dumb?
    “We’re happy to announce that, with some very conservative fishing regulations over the past three years,….”
    The problem has been going on for at least eight years, although “conservative” wasn’t installed until five(?) years ago. Longer if you want to go there.

150,000 lbs is not a lot historically.

50% allocation to the bands? I know, Gov Goofy signed that secret precedent setting three year 50% agreement that was leaked last year and we are stuck with it for now. Hopefully this will be the end of the 50% allocation, but I won’t hold my breath. How about giving lip service to that boondoggle.

Lastly for now, as stated some amount will be needed for hooking mortality, 30,000lbs(?). Add whatever keeping or mortality from this winter, 20,000?
    Leaving 30,000 lbs for summer, my guess.

I would not be surprised if there is not a fall cold water harvest.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Lift the stupid fall night ban! That’s all I’d really want.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I agree with Gill on this. Not sure what you mean by “no surprise” Andy?

I take this as good news. Even if we can only keep one fish, within a narrow slot, I’m fine with that. Really, after approx 5 years of catch and release with my son (which I enjoy) I am only looking to keep a fish once or twice this year for a small meal anyway. It would be a weird experience to go in the fish cleaning house again!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Should we start a guessing thread on what the regs will be? I’d guess one fish under 20″ or over 26″ from opener until June 15th, CnR June 16th until Labor Day, and one fish under 20″ or over 26″ from Labor Day until ice up. Poundage management won’t allow them to open up the 2013 year class to harvest imo.

Angler II

Poundage management won’t allow them to open up the 2013 year class to harvest imo.

Yup. Unfortunately this will cause another “crash” as they call it.

lindyrig79

Pretty good guess Big Werm

Either that, or something similar to the winter regs. Like one fish 21-23″ or something not that easy to achieve.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

I take this as good news.

This was hinted or rumored about last fall (some kind of allowable harvest) for next open water season…which will be this coming season. After the fall assessment, Brad Parsons…the now fisheries chief, said something to the effect that Mille Lacs walleye anglers should expect to see some open water harvest opportunities for next season.

So today’s announcement wasn’t any surprise, in fact was expected by many. The specifics of what will be allowed may be a surprise, or?…maybe not.

And yes, this is good news.

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

I take this as good news.

This was hinted or rumored about last fall (some kind of allowable harvest) for next open water season…which will be this coming season. After the fall assessment, Brad Parsons…the now fisheries chief, said something to the effect that Mille Lacs walleye anglers should expect to see some open water harvest opportunities for next season.

So today’s announcement wasn’t any surprise, in fact was expected by many. The specifics of what will be allowed may be a surprise, or?…maybe not.

And yes, this is good news.

I agree with that. My only perception was that it was a similar vibe and rumors the previous year as well….. and it didn’t happen.

Either way, thanks for posting.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Seems like nothing but goods news IMO.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I disagree. This is the model the dnr has been following for the past 25 years. It will prevent a crash, not cause one.

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Angler II wrote:</div>

I disagree. This is the model the dnr has been following for the past 25 years. It will prevent a crash, not cause one.

Haha

Smackem33

16-18″ one fish maybe 17-19. Or over 28″ that’s my guess

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Dang, I was hoping they’d keep it CPR for at least another summer and lift the stupid night ban.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Dang, I was hoping they’d keep it CPR for at least another summer and lift the stupid night ban.

The “stupid night ban” is the majority of the problem. I hope they never lift it…..EVER!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Thumb wrote:</div>

The “stupid night ban” is the majority of the problem. I hope they never lift it…..EVER!

Please explain Sticker.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What do you have against night fishing?

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

How so? Do you have data to prove this?

From my experience, there’s likely less hooking mortality with trolled crankbaits than with Lindy Rigs and slip bobbers. I almost never nick a gill with a crank bait.

Angler II

Corking at night after dark with my dad really got me into walleye fishing. I took my nephew out last summer with my dad and brother and nephew got a small taste of the night bite before we had to get off the lake.

Take away opportunity’s to get kids into fishing and it’s a lose lose for the state and fishery….

My .02

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I like the glow bobber thing at night too. But I can see why it’s banned the last few years. The fishing is significantly better at night so they’re trying to reduce the catch by only allowing daytime fishing.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I was glad to see they came to their senses and will have Spring and Fall season. I was worried the lake would be shut down in the Fall again.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d just like to see night ban lifted during the lowest mortality months like October and November when fishing is fantastic and resort revenue is at a season low.

Mille Lacs would even be an excellent opportunity to experiment with barbless hooks.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

After thinking about the night ban a bit, I’d bet they probably aren’t willing to pay survey personnel to work night shift hours in the fall.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.