Lake map chips

• Tom schmitt

I’m considering updating my electronics.
    I want to go with a trolling motor that will link with the GPS.
    My problem right now is chooseing a manufacturer.
    Currently I am using Navionics and on most of the smaller lakes the mapping accuracy is bad at best, even dangerous at times.

I am looking for insight to other options for mapping chips.
    What is everyone’s opinion on mapping accuracy.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I have humminbird chartplotter that links to the minnkota trolling motor. I use a lakemaster+ chip and it is very accurate on most lakes and rivers I fish.

I think you have other options, but this is the Johnson Outdoors solution to the problem you mentioned.

jp

Ron
    Victoria, mn

I have Lakemaster and Navionics SD cards for Minnesota. Lakemaster is far better than Navionics. Still, be careful on new waters. Not all hazards get marked and there can be errors in depth contours. If you’re in less than 20 feet, be careful. If you’re in less than 10 feet, be paranoid.

Tom schmitt

Thats the way I am with the navionics, sometimes it is off by 150 feet.

Dr. Pomoxis

Tom, I am piling on your thread to ask a similar question. I fish one lake in northern MN, Pokegama by Grand Rapids, very frequently. I have lowrance units. Navionics is terrible for this lake, as of 2 years ago. CMAP Genesis social map was even worse. I have limped along with my old navionics chip. Is there any worth in upgrading chips in 2021. Is navionics or Lake Insight any better? I really like my lowrance carbon, but the quality of lake mapping is so poor, at least in northern MN, I would really hesitate to buy another new lowrance were I making a purchase now.

I’d also love to hear anyone else’s take on this.

Tom schmitt

That’s exactly what I was thinking.
    If the map is so inaccurate is it worth having and will an expensive upgrade be any better?

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Tom, I am piling on your thread to ask a similar question. I fish one lake in northern MN, Pokegama by Grand Rapids, very frequently. I have lowrance units. Navionics is terrible for this lake, as of 2 years ago. CMAP Genesis social map was even worse. I have limped along with my old navionics chip. Is there any worth in upgrading chips in 2021. Is navionics or Lake Insight any better? I really like my lowrance carbon, but the quality of lake mapping is so poor, at least in northern MN, I would really hesitate to buy another new lowrance were I making a purchase now.

I’d also love to hear anyone else’s take on this.

I’m running lowrances with the cmap chip and they’re pretty accurate on most lakes. Keep your card updated and you’ll have the best info available on the market! I update my card every month or so. You can also do the live mapping with it.

Dr. Pomoxis

RJ, which version of CMAP are you running? Social map off genesis or some other version like Lake Insight? I’d sure give it a chance again if you pointed me towards what you are using.

LabDaddy1

Somewhat related- I recently downloaded the c-map mobile app because I got sick of navionics mobile(on iPhone) being wayyyyy off. So far I like it better in certain aspects, but I’m wondering what other people’s experience has been with c-maps? Accuracy, detail, etc..

If I’m not mistaken c-maps is a lowrance product, for what its worth.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Somewhat related- I recently downloaded the c-map mobile app because I got sick of navionics mobile(on iPhone) being wayyyyy off. So far I like it better in certain aspects, but I’m wondering what other people’s experience has been with c-maps? Accuracy, detail, etc..

If I’m not mistaken c-maps is a lowrance product, for what its worth.

I use them with Lowrance and have found them to be accurate to this point. I use it with a Lowrance HDS Carbon.

I will say that some of the depths are off at this time because of a major drought though. Everything was about a foot or a little more off for most of the past open water season. That problem exists with every mapping software though.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

For the Lakemaster chips (in Humminbird units) you can check to see the level of detail it offers for each lake or body of water. For example, Pokegama by Grand Rapids it shows that it is charted in HD and the survey was completed by Lakemaster themselves. Based on that, I’d expect to find accurate 1′ contours for that lake.

https://www.humminbird.com/support/chart-lists

I will say that some of the depths are off at this time because of a major drought though. Everything was about a foot or a little more off for most of the past open water season. That problem exists with every mapping software though.

I can’t speak from experience on the Lowrance units, but for the Humminbird/Lakemaster chip combination you can adjust the lake depth and it will change the contour lines displayed on your map. Note: this is adjusting the contour depths, not your sonar depth readings (which is a separate thing you can also do). On LotW this fall I changed the map by -2 feet and the contours nicely matched up to what we were seeing on the sonar.

stevenoak

Leftover Jambalaya, with a couple over medium, with a little pepper.
    Not sure how that happened. Can’t seem to be able to delete it.

Attachments:
    1. 20211203_170920-scaled.jpg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.