Lake Erie Personal Beast

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I was lucky enough to head out to Erie with James, Cal, and crew for some pretty incredible fish.

Attached is a mammoth walleye, tipping the scales at 12lb 5oz as my biggest eye to date.

Every bit of this fish was the trophy I thought she’d be immediately upon hookset. She rose to a #5 chrome blue jigging rap tipped with a shiner head twice, finally committing about 5 feet off of bottom. The rod-tip slowly sprang downward then up slightly, a sure sign of an engulfed bait, and I really drove hooks into her. She didn’t move much at first, but really picked up the fight about halfway up from bottom where she ran up, then down twice, and with serious headshakes tried her best to put slack in the line. Then she stayed 3-5 feet below the bottom of the hole for awhile as we paused in a stalemate. I didn’t want her coming to the bottom of the ice green and she did NOT want to go to the light!

Meanwhile, Cal has cleared my ducer, allowing me to engage back reel as he sat above the hole directly and did his best to help me turn her. At this point, we both knew what we were dealing with, and knew that this was the moment of truth where hurried fish get lost. She really didn’t budge much for what felt like minutes, though I knew was mere seconds, but Cal was able to get a great look at her down the hole and offer what help he could. More importantly he was checking to see how good a hook I had into her and that the bait wasn’t about to grab the bottom of the ice. As it turns out, he didn’t need to, with that jigging rap being buried below her tongue and side of her jaw. This fish was touching dorsal and pectoral fins on all sides of an 8″ hole, which is impressive in/of itself.

It was an incredible fight and an experience worthy of her size, and I’m just lucky to have played a part in it. Credit for the great photo goes to Ben Larson as always!

Joel

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5447-2E.jpg

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Congratulations!!!! Very impressive.

Loved the read… and yes, it made me want to run out and take a shot at something that special. Thanks for sharing.

Question, see your box there… you guys have any luck with rippin raps?

A fish of that weight there, does it also run like 30 plus inches as well?

Seen on the news last night much of Erie is ice covered… one of those years where ice is about as good as it gets I suspect.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Dandy fish Joel.

elk_addict
    Participant
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Great fish Joel, that had to have made every bit of the long drive worth while. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

WTG Joel! It’s great to have a helper around on a fish like that. waytogo Cal. That is a great pic with the fish and equipment. My hats off to you guys. How were the numbers on Erie? Lots of smaller fish or just 2/3 bites a day but big fish?

Sweet fish!

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

Cool, thanks for sharing. Nice photo too, it will look good all framed and on the wall.

Dave Ansell
    Participant
    Rushford, MN

Awesome, Awesome fish Joel. Way to get it done and congrats on the new personal best! What a beast and through the ice to boot.

Congrats and thanks for sharing the great story with us.

Dave

Kent thompson
    Participant
    Foreston mn

Congrats Joel! What a hog! woot

francisco4
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

Congrats Joel! Way to stay cool in the heat of battle.

FDR

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Bet that warmed ya up a bit. Congrats on a magnificent fish waytogo waytogo waytogo

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

Lake Erie’s eye’s and smallmouth are likely the biggest on the planet. Great Fish.

cdn
    Participant
    West Central, MN

Incredible fish bud!

Pig-hunter
    Participant
    Southern Minnesota

Nice fish, just a hogzilla! Even better product placement. LOL

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Awesome fish Joel. Glad to assist any time on a fish like that. Getting that big mama’s head turned up the hole was very intense.

eyecatchum
    Participant
    Milwaukee WI

Sweet fish Joel! A PB that will probably take you some time to one-up. (unless you go back to Erie that is ;)) Sorry to hear about the rod case. Good thing is, with the way most of the locals are, you actually have a chance of getting it returned!

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

What a beast! man that lake is just sick at producing pigs! what’s the guess as to how much longer that year class can survive?

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

From what I have “read” these fish grow very quick, and there have been decent year classes consistently that good things are expected to continue.

07lotwchamp
    Participant
    Andover, Mn

Wow! Very impressive joel!

4walleye
    Participant
    Central SD

Seen on the news last night much of Erie is ice covered… one of those years where ice is about as good as it gets I suspect.

I would suspect two good years of ice on Lake Erie is the exception and not the rule.

captddh
    Participant
    Cannon Falls, MN

What a rush,…congrats Joel.

covert1
    Participant

Awesome fish Joel !! Congrats bud !

hamms
    Participant
    Mn

I’m not a fan of 10″ holes but that would be one time I would gladly welcome a bigger hole! Nice fish Joel!

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

peace bow yay woot waytogo toast applause

Personal “Beast” says it all!

Kenneth Powers
    Participant

Awesome fish….congratulations! I see that you did well on the chrome blue jigging rap. we’re you guys able to get any fish going on the rattle baits at all? I am hoping to get over ther for a few days this week. It’s going to be my first time on the ice there and I can’t wait!

revpilot
    Participant
    Lake Erie

Awesome fish….congratulations! I see that you did well on the chrome blue jigging rap. we’re you guys able to get any fish going on the rattle baits at all? I am hoping to get over ther for a few days this week. It’s going to be my first time on the ice there and I can’t wait!

Don’t waste your time with those rattle baits , all you need are a few jigging raps and little Cleos , unless you wanna mark a bunch of junk fish

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Wow Joel!! Amazing fish!! Congrats on that beauty! waytogo

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.