Lake Erie…. next week (30th -3rd)

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Anyone by chance from the IDO group going to be out that way? Weather finally looks like four days of the right wind and such for my 17′ boat – so making my mini dream trip after two years of pulling the plug because of bad timing/conditions. I don’t think I’ve ever seen four days of S-SW mild winds in a forecast. I know there were others here looking to go in earlier in April as well… that didn’t.

Fishing Monday-Thursday. Set up for jigging some of the reefs and trolling a selection of deep Husky Jerks. I have some rippin raps to try even… low expectations there, but need to catch a fish on one someday. Not sure what to expect except that it will be heavy post spawn and I hope to come back with one hell of a tired body from fishing every hour possible.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Good luck out there. Wish I was going as well. I went early in April primarily to buy a boat. We tried fishing but it was windy and the water muddy. Marked tons of fish but no one got any fish,…even the guides. So,..stay away from muddy water. They use big stick baits on boards with lead core or snap weights. Jigging may work as well but plan on having some 1/2-1 oz jigs to fish 35-35 feet down.

David Blais

We are heading out sunday at 3am. We will be there until friday

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

We just got back last week on what ended up being the worst fishing trip of my life.. That storm system that came thru really messed things up. 1,500 miles round trip to not even boat a fish.. neutral There were fish everywhere on the graph but just couldn’t get them to bite in that muddy water. It was bad! I’ve had chocolate milk that was lighter than the water.. I hope your trip goes better, and it should. Looks like things are picking up again. Good luck & Tight Lines!!

Chuck Melcher

Sorry it turned out that way for you, and I’m sure many others with that storm.

I’m sure there will be some wind and such again…. I’m trying to keep expectations real, and then totally blow them away with a good time. I hope. This is a hard time to leave home as there are some really god crappie bites starting – but they’ll be here when I get home as well.

bjmiller

Hi Chuck. I made my annual pilgrimage to the Western Basin 3 weeks ago and was met by fierce winds, dirty water, and cold temps. Fishing was slow due to these conditions, but we did manage a few over the weekend. Lake Erie Modis IS your best friend this time of year. Find cleaner water and you’ll catch fish. My experience over the last 18 years has been to look for semi-clear water… not super clear and not super dirty. The sediment/silt will hold more heat which is why fish focus their positions in these dirtier water areas, but are more difficult to catch. Find those “transition” zones of water clarity and hang on!!! When these fish come off the post spawn don’t be afraid to run your DHJ12’s within the top 10′ of the water column and get them out and away from the boat. Highest performance of colors will vary on light conditions. Sunny days usually equate to chrome finishes and transparent “glass” colors while darker days opaque colors in UV have worked better. Some of my go-to spots for trolling this time of year would include the areas around A and B Cans just north of the reef complex in 25=28′ or between Niagara Reef and D Can in 24-27′. These are high percentage ambush spots as the females come off their spawn. Have a great trip and hope mother nature puts the odds in your favor! No matter what the outcome Erie is a fantastic fishery and look forward every year to the opportunities she’s willing share! This post-spawner came off of Lucy Point (East side of Middle Bass) this year.

Attachments:
    1. 20180407_122938_resized.jpg

Chuck Melcher

Great advice…. TY. So if we get the sun early in the week that is suppose to arrive with warming temps, it may bring fish higher vs push them deeper? Looking for that warming water. Going to be fun washing lures if nothing else…. hopefully I can share some cool pics while there.

Actually staying over by Sandusky and may fish one day off Marblehead if the winds pick up.

bjmiller

Exactly, the fish will focus their movements in warmer water. The key is to find “cleaner” water with better visibility at the same time having a higher temperature. It’s a balance of water clarity and water temp. If you can find fish in “fishable” water with temps around 42-44 degrees you should be dialed in. Based on movements I would spread your lures out from depth ranges of 8′, 15′, and 20′ no matter what the water color, time of day, or temps. From there you can dial in your depths and colors once you establish a pattern. Mazurik launch in Lake Side is a great spot to head out giving you access to Marblehead and Kelly’s Island. Might want to check out Airport Reef on east side of Kelly’s. If the fish are on the move coming off the spawn it’s a great pinch-point and will protect you from any westerly winds. Be aware of the winds coming through the south passage in between Kelly’s and Lakeside/Marblehead. It can get pretty sporty in there with high winds and current flow. Catawba State Park on the north end of Catawba is also a great launch location for hitting the reefs/Niagara area. There are also ramps further west if you get a big west blow and don’t want to venture to far from shore.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Was out to the Detroit river and the Monroe, MI area on Erie 4/7 to 4/13. You want fairly clean water. Not dirty and not crystal clear. Our best luck trolling was with Bandits, H Jerks, and Flicker minnows. 25 to 35 feet back was best. Less than 20 or over 45 feet behind the board didn’t get bit. Green, purple/pink, or mostly black were the best colors. Mostly used custom painted Domka Sports baits.

bjmiller

Hi Chuck! How was your trip to Erie? Anything to report?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.