Lake conditions for Mille Lacs or Big Stone

• MNdrifter

Kids have spring break next week and I have Thursday/Friday off work (3/30-3/31). Thinking of either Mille lacs for last two days of pike, or Big stone for panfish/walleye. Wondering if anyone has lake travel conditions for either. Hoping truck travel is possible, and would like to bring the wheelhouse to sleep overnight. Any reports are much appreciated.
    TIA: Drifter.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Artie’s is still plowing roads on Big Stone.

michael keehr

I was on mille lacs last weekend. I just walked as I was not going out far. Managed 6 nice perch in a couple hours and alot of 4 to 6 inchers..lake seemed very driveable.

MNdrifter

I was on mille lacs last weekend. I just walked as I was not going out far. Managed 6 nice perch in a couple hours and alot of 4 to 6 inchers..lake seemed very driveable.

What were ice/travel conditions? Much snow? Think you could have driven a truck? How thick was the ice.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

drifter…..why wouldnt you go to big stone…….more species……actually all them….sunfish, crappies perch pike and eyes!!

tim hurley

Everyone goes to ML so go to ML whistling

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

Drifter- plenty of ice as you almost need an extension. Very tough for a truck. Spots with 2ft drifts everywhere and cant see them until your in it. The sun today melted a bit more, but track vehicles are still needed.

Nodakk

Not sure if Mille lacs has it but lakes around Brainerd have some slush in places again. And enough snow where there’s not many vehicles out.

MNdrifter

drifter…..why wouldnt you go to big stone…….more species……actually all them….sunfish, crappies perch pike and eyes!!

Forecast doesn’t look very nice for hole hopping with kids. 30 degrees yeah, but 20-30 mph wind. Might be a cab up and watch flags kind of day!

Everyone goes to ML so go to ML whistling

I have not seen any reports or post of pike fishermen on ML since season closed statewide except that one that might be state record caught in January.

Thanks Bob Ford and Nodakk for the info!

michael keehr

Where I was there were pockets of snow. No slush that I seen but I was only out less than a quarter mile. I parked at a friends place and walked out. Hoping to hit it again next weekend as I think the big perch may move in better.

MNdrifter

Update: getting around so so with wheeler. Haven’t gotten buried yet. Getting our buts kicked with the fish though. 2 flags since 11 am. One pick up and drop, and had one big one on for about 1.5 minutes.

Gregg Gunter

I had hoped to get to Big Stone but the coming storm puts the kibosh on that. Arties posted that they are done for the season.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.