Kids Fishing Rod

• tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Want to find a good rod for my 4 year old. He out fished me on opener and wasn’t shy about rubbing it in. I think I have him hooked )

He was using a small kids rod with a closed reel. Its an old rod probably 15 years old and just doesn’t cast well and didn’t work the greatest. We are taking a trip to Kabetogama this summer and want him to have a good rod that is both easy for my wife and I to use as well as him. Secondly I tried using a slip bobber so it would be easier to fish deeper and the thread for the stop knot kept getting caught.

Any good suggestions for a kids rod that can handle more than just panfish. Also any other bobebr stops that won’t get stuck? I seem to remember as a kid using a plastic stop that worked better.

Thanks for the help.

catnip
    south metro

Ugly stick is my vote. Almost indestructible and very sensitive and cheap. All but 1 of my fishen sticks are ugly sticks.

catnip
    south metro

What was the knot catching on? The guide or the Bobber? Sometimes I put a bigger bead on the line to keep it from going through the guide.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ll second the Ugly stick for the rod. For a reel you can’t go wrong with a Zebco 33. The underspin model may be the way to go. As far as the bobber stop goes trim the tag ends rather close to the line and it should go thru the eye’s and line guide rather well.

lhprop1
    Eagan

What was the knot catching on? The guide or the Bobber? Sometimes I put a bigger bead on the line to keep it from going through the guide.

Spincast, or closed face reels have a little pin on the inside that catches the line when you reel in. My guess would be that the bobber stop was hanging up on that little pin.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I vote spinning. Key is have him not learn in the boat, rather the backyard with a wiffle golf ball on the end. Easier to feel that release point, plus it doesn’t break anything! Toss out a hula hoop, pick out a bush, or really anything to hit, makes it fun for them.

As he gets better graduate to cranks w/out the hooks.

Ive always liked to let the kids pick out the rod combo they like with a lil direction from dad, really let’s them know its theirs.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

I vote spinning. Key is have him not learn in the boat, rather the backyard with a wiffle golf ball on the end. Easier to feel that release point, plus it doesn’t break anything! Toss out a hula hoop, pick out a bush, or really anything to hit, makes it fun for them.

As he gets better graduate to cranks w/out the hooks.

Ive always liked to let the kids pick out the rod combo they like with a lil direction from dad, really let’s them know its theirs.

^X2 He hit the nail right on the head with this one. I would get them to start using spinning so that when they get older they are used to it.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Can’t beat an Ugly Stick for my kids but IMO spincast reels are line munchers and their ease of use is outweighed by their bulk and constant hang ups and kinks in the line. My 2 cents worth would be to buy a 4 yr old a spinning reel and a practice plug and take them in the backyard and spend some time with them. Most kids will catch on faster than you think and they will enjoy their big boy toy much more and appreciate your confidence in their ability. With a little patience on your part a baitcaster would be the next step. I just picked up a Pflueger Echelon for $40 on Amazon and it casts like a charm. Just figure out how far the kid can cast, pull off some extra line and place a small piece of tape over the remaining line in the spool and it’ll eliminate a backlash nest.

St. Croix Triumph series rod would be one a kid could use forever, still under $100 if you’re looking for something good you and your wife can use too.

Always pinch off the barbs from any hooks kids use when they’re ready for the water.

Fisherpaul

I second the spinning rod. I bought my son who is 2 and a half going to be 3 in October an ultra light spinning rod and put my Sienna ice reel on it for him. He can cast it already himself. He needs help with the bail sometimes now and a gain. But he pretty much has it down. He love fishing. I let him stay out as long as he wants and bring lots of treats. I let him fish and I don’t fish myself while he is. I just help him when he asks.

Attachments:
    1. William-Fishin.jpg

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

My buddy…when his grandson was 5..gave him a spinning set-up and a practice lure,then put a tire about 20ft out and told BJ “when you can hit the target 9 out of 10 times then you can fish with grandpa more”…..by the time he was 6 he could hit a Lilly pad at 60ft… grin

BTW now BJ is driving now and 1 of the best fisherman-hunters I know….

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

pm sent

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.