Kids Fishing Pole

• tgruenke
    Participant
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

My boys ages 5 and 7 are starting to get into fishing. Next summer we are taking a trip to Kabetogama and we would like for them to have a nice spinning rod of their own. When they use my 6-7 foot jigging rod it is hard for them to manage the length. I would like to get them a shorter rod that they could use for jigging with, but could handle average sized walleyes. Any suggestions?

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

x2 on ugly stick. could get the kids combo. One of my rods I like to jig with when I don’t have room to haul around a large rod is a 5’9 medium light spinning ugly stik. has a very fast tip can’t set hook too hard.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I gave my 7 year old a ugly stick paired with a shimano sienna 1000. Works awesome for many situations for him. And he has proven him self well enough I let him jig my Loomis and st Croix when the situation is right

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’d personally stick with a rod no taller than they are. Ugly stick or whooping stick is a “descent” option but honestly it’s not good for “feeling” a fish which what is needed for walleye fishing…but I get it, they are young, but maybe this is a good time for them to learn how to differentiate the difference between bottom and a fish.

I’d stick with a solid but cheap graphite rod, again, around their height so they can manage it easier.

Plueger president reel is cheap(er) and it will last them for many years and you’ll be able to keep it as you improve on the rods they grow into.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I think Clowncolor is right on with the rod and reel. Nice thing is your trip is a year away and you can give them it for their birthday gift or xmas if you need to justify spending more money on their rods. There are many great options out there. Put the reel on the rods and have your kids hold them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.