Kicker Placement

• Joe

I’m getting a kicker for my Competitor 205. Anyone know how far off center it should be? Since this has an aluminum transom, do i have to mount it in a specific spot for the bolts to hit something structural?

stevenoak

I’d clamp it on for several trips before drilling any holes. I find the bolts are more to deter theft. We clamped 9.9s for years, and I still do. I take mine off for certain trips. You could check with the dealer or factory. But I assume the transom structure would be fine. Think you will find the sweet spot isn’t that large right to left.

Joe

That makes sense, I’d prefer to not drill holes if I dont have too.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Clamp and drill it unless you are planning on moving the kicker to another boat in the future. I will caution you though, the clamps will destroy your paint on the transom and will turn off buyers in the future if you decide to sell. I mounted my own kicker and it was super easy. Take your time and move it around until everything clears as it should and then clamp it down. I only bolted in the bottom and clamped the top.

Shane L Roberts

I just had a dealership hang a kicker on my 2017 Competitor 185. I reached out to Alumacraft 1st and was told it had to go on the Passenger side of the boat.

abster71
    crawford county WI

mounted mine on starboard side otherwise you’ll not be able to reach and you’d have to remove your ladder as well. As far as bolting I just clamped mine with a thin piece of rubber overlapping the transom. I can’t recall if you can get in behind the livewell if you decided to bolt it. Mines hung on a 2018 comp. 185 tiller

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

I did like Browndog said. Mine is on the port side. My ladder is on the starboard side on my Trophy 185.There is plenty of aluminum in the transom to hold it. You can feel the bit going in and out of the metal as you drill through.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.