Keeping warm

• grizzly
    Participant
    nebraska

looking for the best clothing to keep warm as far as wearing Under Armour to start layering with, is Under Armour the best or is there something better? needed for cold days in the boat or in the deer hut. THanks in advance

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Check out Minus33. Super comfortable and warm.

grizzly
    Participant
    nebraska

Check out Minus33. Super comfortable and warm. What stores is it sold at? Scheels or Cabelas ?

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I also enjoy the minus 33 merino wool. I do also use under armor. Prefer the wool.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I like the UA heat gear but this is a local company with good stuff.

WSI Heatr is good. I have the camo hoodie and it’s a great base layer.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Keep in mind, you bottom (base) layer is a moisture wicking layer and that should be its only job. I would personally avoid any base layer that has more than one layer built in. In warmer or active conditions, you’ll get too hot and sweat too much.

I’ve been buying Helly Hanson base layers for about a decade now and can say that they have some of the most ergonomic fit across all of their stuff. I don’t have any other major brands of base layer to compare to so I can’t say their base layers fit any better than any others. I’ve bought 2 sets in the past 10 years and have fared very well.

Over the base layer I’ll put a thin close fitting fleece. Over that I’ve been wearing a hoodie. I’ll pull the hoodie or the fleece off if I get too hot. If I get too cold I’ll wear a good winter coat. For pants I’ve been clinging onto some Gander Mountain GSX midlayer fleece pants.

Where to buy? Well, it seems there are fewer and fewer places that carry any selection in store anymore. Your best bet is buying stuff online, unfortunately.

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

In my opinion under armour base layers should only be worn if you are active or very active while it’s cold out. If you are sitting still or have any wind it will make you colder. I have a bit of it and like it for work but I won’t wear it hunting or fishing. I’m only referring to the compression fit variety. Like others said a good Merino base layer is what a guy should have.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

In my opinion under armour base layers should only be worn if you are active or very active while it’s cold out. If you are sitting still or have any wind it will make you colder. I have a bit of it and like it for work but I won’t wear it hunting or fishing. I’m only referring to the compression fit variety. Like others said a good Merino base layer is what a guy should have.

This is right. UA has compression gear that’s meant for running or working out in the cold. The cold gear and heat gear have different applications. I have a bit of all of them and they have different applications. They have hunting specific gear and I know Dicks carries it if you want to check it out.

I’d go to REI and check out their stuff. It’s spendy but the REI brand usually has good deals.

grizzly
    Participant
    nebraska

I see scheels has the smartwool marino 250 baselayer is this as good as the minus 33 or do you need to get the minus 33 marino wool base layer? if you buy online do you need to get it a little larger to make up for shrinking or does it shrink at all?

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I cant wear polyester so many products are not an option for me. However, everyone i hunt and fish with wears the stuff. The only advantage they have is whenbwe are on the move. During long hikes, packing gear,… they benifit from wicking sweat away. My disadvatange is cotton wicks and HOLDS the moisture. But whenbit comes to just sitting, i couldnt be much more comfortable. I layer sweat pants and hoodies and stay very warm in single digit temps. They are layered thinner, and dont do as well in more extreme conditions

mnrabbit
    Participant
    South Central Minnesota

Under Armour cold gear is great when you are active. Run and gun fishing, pheasant hunting, working out, can’t hardly beat it. If you are not active, sitting over one hole ice fishing, in the same deer stand, etc., then I would not recommend it. Like Randy said above, a nice cotton or wool layer underneath some sweatpants and a hoody is tough to beat if it won’t be getting wet from sweat.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

In addition to the layers noted here, my #1 must have is a neck gaiter. Keep your head/neck warm and everything else works better.

-J.

Brad Dimond
    Participant

I love neck gaiters, wear them deer hunting, ice fishing, blowing snow and riding the motorcycle when it is cold. Hand muffs are fantastic for maintaining warmth. Throw a disposable heat pack in for additional warmth. Also, a heat pack in an interior pocket on your jacket helps a lot.

huntinforfish
    Participant

I have been very happy with my smartwool 150 and 250 baselayers. Great for active wear tasks as they regulate heat better than anything else ive ever used. Also great for layerinig over for cold sits. This year for opener my set up was merino 250 base layers, the cabelas polartec fuzzy things and then my outer wear. I added a vest on top. Perfectly comfortable. I had been using UA coldgear prior and will never go back.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

I picked up a Merino wool union suit with hood and thumb slot. Sorry, can’t remember the name, but it is warm and dry. It is also extremely comfortable.

TheCrappieFisherman
    Participant
    West Metro

Icebreaker is supposed to make some really nice merino wool layers also, not cheap though. I have a really thick cabela’s ECWCS baselayer, seems like good stuff, don’t have much to compare it too. sometimes too warm though if active.

Some guys really like the heated vests, or just a regular vest to help keep your core warm also.

grizzly
    Participant
    nebraska

I am not as concerned with the price as just more with staying warm, am 63 now and once I get to cold im done. wont be to active just need this stuff to stay warm in boat, we fish rainy river in spring and fall and the most will be doing is reeling in fish and I wont bitch if I get to warm doing that LOL going to scheels soon to see what they have

B-man
    Participant

My favorite stuff is a Carol Davis Web Foot Body Sock but unfortunately she recently retired and closed the doors.

It has a fuzzy fleece style interior and a polypropylene type exterior.

SUPER WARM stuff and great wicking properties.

I also like some Gander Mountain base layer that I have with similar properties, but it isn’t as thick/warm.

Then I have some of the original Under Armour and it is terrible. It’s like a thin layer of spandex and it’s freezing cold.

Whatever the brand, look for the thickest material with a fuzzy interior. Also make sure it hugs your skin. You want a tight fit (think hot chick in Yoga pants fit)

Loose fitting base layers aren’t as warm as a body hugging base layer.

Also, if you really want to keep warm, wear a vest under your jacket. It will keep your core warmer without adding more bulk to your arms/legs. Obviously a wind-proof and insulated outer layer and good hat are must-haves too.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

My favorite stuff is a Carol Davis Web Foot Body Sock but unfortunately she recently retired and closed the doors.

I also like some Gander Mountain base layer that I have with similar properties, but it isn’t as thick/warm.

Then I have some of the original Under Armour and it is terrible. It’s like a thin layer of spandex and it’s freezing cold.

Whatever the brand, look for the thickest material with a fuzzy interior. Also make sure it hugs your skin. You want a tight fit (think hot chick in Yoga pants fit)

Problem is my retina’s have been burned out by, shall we say the not so hot chicks trying to wear them. crazy

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Also, if you really want to keep warm, wear a vest under your jacket. It will keep your core warmer without adding more bulk to your arms/legs. Obviously a wind-proof and insulated outer layer and good hat are must-haves too.

Be careful here…you need to have airflow to keep warmth and to wick moisture. Tight clothing doesn’t do that. You need fitted clothing and too tight or too loose makes a big difference. That’s why it’s really important to try it in and get the right brands.

Also, the under armor spandex base layers you are mentioning are for compression and not warmth. UA makes specific clothing for warmth and that’s not it.

B-man
    Participant

Matt I’m going off what works for me in cold weather with little activity (like fishing in a boat or sitting in a treestand).

The Under Armour I bought was marketed as Cold Gear. It does just that….keeps you cold. Probably great for a 5k run in -10 temps LOL. Old school cotton is 10x warmer than that junk is.

Like I said, my tight fitting (not compression fitting) Body Sock is the warmest base layer I’ve ever tried. It’s too warm for a lot of things…..

It’s not meant for dragging a shack across the lake or going for a jog. It keeps and inactive body warmer than a loose fitting layer.

Having a tight fitting (or shall I say snug) fuzzy layer keeps your body heat within an 1/8th inch of your skin. Loose fitting base layers don’t do that.

I agree 100% that a looser fitting base layer breaths more. They allow more/new/colder air in between the material and your skin. It’s a good thing for an active body, but a bad thing for little or no activity.

Here’s a screen shot of the body sock and how it fits. It’s formed to your body, but not a compression material.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20191203-181532-1.png

2. Screenshot_20191203-181532.png

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Well, now I want a body sock. A picture is worth a thousand words….

Steve O
    Participant

Absolutely correct on wearing a neck gator. Once I pair one of those with a merino wool lined ear flapped hat I’m golden. Good socks are must as well.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.