best time for spring crappie bite?

• tomberg
    Participant
    Rochester,MN.

looking to do some crappie fishing this spring,when’s the best month?thinking of hitting lovewell and others around there.are the state park cabins nice? if you want to pm me that’s fine.driving down from Minnesota with son..thanks..

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The easy answer would be spring time.

Just north of the twin cities it seems to happen right around fishing opener. Some years that is the tail end of it. Year like last year its just starting then.

Prime water temps if I remember right is around 50 to 55 degrees. Many times we would drive around the lake checking different areas and watching the water temps. Temps can very a lot in the little corners and bays of the lake depending on wind direction and cloud cover.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just seen this is posted in the Kansas forum. All I know about down there is a neighbor of mine keeps telling my to head down there with him about the same time we are heading to to rainy river sturgeon or walleye fishing in the spring.

That would be april.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

We have done extremely well in late May into early June.

marvins
    Participant
    Kansas

If I had to pick one month it would be May. But we usually start looking for spawners at tax time depending on how quick the water warms to 60F. corps of engineers website under Kansas city district lakes will show the most up to date info for lake conditions. Also check kwpd.com or Kansas wildlife and parks dept.

tomberg
    Participant
    Rochester,MN.

thanks guys.see ya in a couple months..maybe sooner,sick of winter…

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

I’m with ya there. Should be getting the boat ready, but no….high of 5 to 15 degrees here for the next week. I’m moving into the severely PO’d mood right now…..I hate this winter crap.

tomberg
    Participant
    Rochester,MN.

had it with the snow..made reservations at Lovewell Res. for april/may..myself and a couple buddys,any tips, pointer’s on how to fish for crappies or wally’s,you can pm me also,thanks for any help..can’t wait to get down there..

mojo
    Participant

My brother and I are bringing our dad down to Glen Elder first week of May, he’s been bugging us to do it for a couple years now, since he heard about the big crappies there (that video that James did this winter really lit a fire under him). So my brother and I worked our schedules to be able to do it for him this year. We want to make it a memorable trip with at least decent success. I am hoping to connect with a guide, but many of them are guiding turkey hunts this time of year. I know that resort owners have a fair amount of knowledge, but let’s face it, they don’t get much fishing time in the spring, so I’ve never gotten the most current or accurate information on fishing from them. And the guys at the bait shop usually have pretty accurate information, but they are very reluctant to share it – especially with out of state guys. So if anyone here has any solid info in any capacity on how to catch crappies and perhaps some walleyes – baits, sizes, lures, water depths & temps, presentations, recommendations on local guides – whatever, I would certainly be grateful.
    Have a great season, and good luck.
    Brian

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.