Juvenile flats

• Deuces
    Participant

Haven’t put in a ton of time fishing flats on the section of river between St Anthony falls and the coon rapids dam but certainly done my fair share with no big fish to date. But, I have caught plenty of juveniles(<3#) fishing for other species dragging worms, soaking for channels, etc. I find it odd.

If one catches plenty of youngsters but can’t find a big one what should a guy do? Start exploring new habitat, spots, bait? One has to assume there will be big fish around wouldn’t ya?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Big catfish aren’t the rule, they’re the exception.
    That said,
    Here’s my big cat strategy.

Take a rip rap bank as an example. May be 100yds, may be 1/4 mile. Small flatheads will be found throughout if the current is proper for them. Scan that entire stretch and there will be a small unique spot that will hold the big fish. Might be different type of rock, a small point or cut, a section of log… it’s different than the rest.

It’s common for me to hit one or two choice spots within a long stretch of the same.

Run and gun with big parts of sheepshead.

Same goes for sand dunes… find that unique one amongst many, find your fish.

Hope that helps.

Over time you’ll discover the type of current they prefer given the day. As you get that, narrowing down where to look happens fast and finding the unique spot within that specific current happens faster. In time it don’t take long to find a big fish tugging on your line.

Deuces
    Participant

Sounds like spot on a spot cat version. Hadn’t thought of it like that before.

Very much appreciated

Kevin
    Participant

If your wanting to target flatheads I wouldn’t fish that stretch of river, there just isn’t a big enough population especially big fish in my opinion. Your much better off fishing from st Anthony falls down even better pool 2.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Obviously size available is relative to the area. I’m not familiar with that stretch but know the strategy and distribution applies the same everywhere.

Yes beads, spot on the spot, and what I shared isn’t species specific ;) big fish always pick the best spots… catch one and take note of that location relative to the surroundings and ask your self why did I catch you there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Slight correction Andy. Fish get big because they are in the best spots.

Deuces
    Participant

If your wanting to target flatheads I wouldn’t fish that stretch of river, there just isn’t a big enough population especially big fish in my opinion. Your much better off fishing from st Anthony falls down even better pool 2.

I agree but being so busy it’s hard to get out and it’s very close for me to get to.

Fish are there I can feel it, sounds dumb being a cat newb, but I’m confident I can find some.

matt
    Participant

I talked to a guy from down south one day at the River Park access,he said he a had caught a couple near 30lbs.Was quite the character,wades the river fishing a slip float with hamburger for bait.I have fished that stretch of river alot and have yet to catch one,never put alot of time into targeting cats tho either.Did spend a couple nights years ago fishing bullheads towards downtown,had a few pickups/runs but never set the hooks into anything so no clue as to what they were.I would guess there are some larger ones around,maybe not many tho.No shortage of channel cats around there thats for certain.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Slight correction Andy. Fish get big because they are in the best spots.

Disagree.

Your only the big boy on the block until a bigger one comes along… in other words, a small fish might remain in a big fish spot, but only if the big fish ate it once it arrives.

Fish have fins not mortgages, they tend to move. As current changes, fish move back into preferred habitat… everybody shoves the little guy until your so small you got nobody to shove.
    Deer aren’t any different. They become territorial and kick away the youngsters… to maintain excellent habitat, until their booted and they need to go find the next best habitat by challenging others to leave… this is why proportionally big fish/deer are so few in comparison to the individual species population. As your individual bar rises for what’s big there are less and less to chase.

donald boyce
    Participant

Ya’ll must be gunning just for the little flatheads if your using cut bait. If your looking to hammer the monsters ya gotta use live bait….big live bait. Forget the bluegills and catch some big crappies or if you know where you can get big bulkheads which I think is the best bait for monster flathead. They are super tough and live a long time. If you want big flats. Ime talking 40, 50, 60lbs and bigger its big live bait. Big bait big fish. I fish the Mississippi in northeast iowa. Strictly after dark. Big flats love live bait, small one will bite dead bait but I guess it all depends on what I or you consider what big is to you…..

3Rivers
    Participant

Donald, I’ve lost count on how many 40-60lb Flatheads have been in my boat caught on a piece of cutbait. Big Flats eat whatever they want.

Deuces
    Participant

Last night soaking cutbait first time this year, new spot, once again another juvey flatty mixed in w some nice channels.

My hunt continues.

3Rivers
    Participant

Last night soaking cutbait first time this year, new spot, once again another juvey flatty mixed in w some nice channels.

My hunt continues.

If you keep fishing between St Anthony Falls and Coon Rapids Dam, you are doomed to only catching small flatheads. Move down to Pool 2, St Croix, or Minnesota River

Deuces
    Participant

Probably, but convenience is too hard to pass up. Maybe one day I’ll figure out a big one, will be a sweet day. I have some more spots to try toast

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

The MN River is starting to look pretty sketchy for boat traffic by Belle Plaine. Did see a pontoon down there yesterday though.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Yeah a lot of people think they can pull a trophy walleye from their lake X and never do. Then they go to where big fish exist and find em quite quickly.

If you keep fishing between St Anthony Falls and Coon Rapids Dam, you are doomed to only catching small flatheads. Move down to Pool 2, St Croix, or Minnesota River

+1

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.