Just wondering

• gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

My sister lives in Fort Myers and I know she is stressed to the max. We told her she was nuts moving there last year

A lot of people moved to Florida during the pandemic. I wonder how many people are regretting that decision now.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    My sister lives in Fort Myers and I know she is stressed to the max. We told her she was nuts moving there last year

A lot of people moved to Florida during the pandemic. I wonder how many people are regretting that decision now.

My guess is the majority of those that moved “because” of the way the pandemic was handled in other states, have little regrets. They still have their freedom… hurricane or not. smirk

orve4
    Participant

I had never been to Florida till three years ago and have been back every year since. have stayed from fort Meyers all the way up to Clear water beach and a few places in between. What a beautiful area and place to visit. Hoping that everyone stayed safe and the recovery goes well.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Some of the videos I have see are just ridiculous! I cannot imagine trying to ride that out. I saw a video of a NOAA plane that flew through the storm that just seems unnecessary.

It’s necessary so they can determine the strength and get other data, but yeah, I am grateful for those guys

I saw a tweet from someone in the crew and one of the flights he said they hit turbulence that dropped them 1k feet. That’s crazy

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

The red marker is where my nephew lives. He got back there today and has sent some pictures and videos. It’s bad, but obviously not as bad as Sanibel and fort Myers beach.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20221001-080302.png

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

As I’m sure you have seen, Ian was not only damaging around the immediate coast where it made landfall, but there has also been horrific flooding inland.

When we drove home, we didn’t see a lot off damage on I75 until we got to North Port. The off ramp was flooded and people lined the water’s edge. There were flooded cars and boat trailers and this was all see just from the freeway. Now that I am home I searched North Port online and all the social media and it is bad.

I feel survivors guilt now and again. I freaked out Tuesday morning and got us to evacuate. Made some posts online they we were evacuating. Now that we are home and see what little damage there is, I know now we didn’t really have to evacuate.

I don’t regret evacuating, because I had to beat the tropical storm conditions to make travel safe. I was waiting until it got past Cuba and the eye formed because I knew forcast models at that point have a better handle variables and are better at predicting the path. Well at the time we left was off by about 100+ miles which made all the difference.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Glad everything worked out for you, I can understand feeling the guilt, but it is not your fault and nothing you could control. It has to be crazy watching the forecast and trying to make that decision. I’m sure it amazing down there but I will stick with my blizzards.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.