Just purchased 70 acres of hunting land, now what?

• Aaron Kalberer

Sold our old piece of land (80 acres 30 tillable 20 woods, 30 crp) bought a 70 north of Park Rapids MN, next close to Itasca state park. Only been out there 2 times and was wondering what I should be doing to have an idea to get ready for deer season. Obviously do not want to be in there too much before season. Have plans for next year to make improvements and pattern deer but for now just want to get a lowdown of what is going on out there and up my chances. It is big woods 1/2 mile from wheat potatoe and corn fields has a lake on it and atv trail splitting the property down the middle. Any insight on what you would do with a new property only a few months from season?

the very least, i would put a cam or 2 up just to see whats walking around, can be very low impact walking in there slapping the cams up during the middle of the day, study aerial photos/topos; then after this fall after walking around it you’ll get a better lay of the land and work on it this spring if need be such as select cutting or plots

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

May sit on the outside edges with binos or spotting scope and just watch deer movement. Get some cams up, stay on the outside edges as much as possible.

Aaron Kalberer

Thanks for the insight guys! I do have a few cameras I will have to utilize. The binos are a good idea as well. I suppose I better get in there ASAP and get my stands up as well. We rifle hunt the property we bow hunt else where.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We hunt just east of there by Nevis, and think you will be very happy with your purchase! In the big woods ag seems to be the driver, so locating travel corridors to and from the nearest ag will be your best bet this year. And in the future any food plots you can add should help a lot. The property we hunt is similar, in that it is 60 acres with a power line running through it. And hunting the power line or ATV trail in your case, would be the best bet for this year imo.

sktrwx2200

I would but up a camera, a TROPHY ROCK, and a 50lb bag of crack corn out ASAP. The corn will just help them find the mineral quicker. Actually I would put out 2 sets like that.. Once for each 30 acres…
    Look for areas with some deer sign and/or Select areas that looks good on google earth.. If they have the fall or winter or early spring satellite picture of your property on google.. you can learn an awful lot about a property very quickly, by looking at the game trails.
    Also put the trophy rock on a stump.. that way when the deadline for “baiting” in MN hits you can pull whats left of the trophy rock without having to worry about it leeching into the ground and technically being illegal.

I wouldnt try to make any alterations on the land until you have hunted at least 1 season to see what you are working with. You will learn a ton the first year. It took me 2 years to “REALLY” figure out my 30 acre piece that I live on.. And its ALOT less cover than you guys have.
    Good luck

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I wouldnt try to make any alterations on the land until you have hunted at least 1 season to see what you are working with. You will learn a ton the first year. It took me 2 years to “REALLY” figure out my 30 acre piece that I live on.. And its ALOT less cover than you guys have.
    Good luck

X2
    Its much easier to enhance the eco system than try to manipulate it waytogo I’m 25 years into managing my farm. Learned a lot the hard way

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Also put the trophy rock on a stump.. that way when the deadline for “baiting” in MN hits you can pull whats left of the trophy rock without having to worry about it leeching into the ground and technically being illegal.

Not to hijack the thread but just an FYI, I don’t think trophy rock is considered bait in MN. It’s all natural mineral with no “food” added.

Aaron Kalberer

Great info! I am a weekend warrior deer hunter as in love to eat em so study them enough to get that done, the last property we had was hunted since I was old enough to hold a gun so this info is new to me and very much appreciated.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

First off, congrats on your purchase. You’re going to love it!

I agree with the others as far as study first. You don’t have time and growing season left to make improvements and you’d risk making improvements that later prove to be not the best direction.

Mineral licks are a good idea, but HURRY! Deer use of minerals goes way down starting in September when the temps cool and they no longer crave so much salt.

Personally, I don’t bother with any of the deer-specific mineral blocks, rocks, etc. I use the “standard recipie” of DIY mineral mix that’s all over the internet because I run 4 mineral sites and it’s about 60% cheaper than the big name blocks/rocks/whatever. Easy to make, low cost, works great.

. Obviously do not want to be in there too much before season.

This is where I have to disagree.

Personally, I do not go with this “Extreme Avoidance” line of thinking where any and all contact should be avoided.

When I’m on my property, I make all the noise I want. Ride ATVs everywhere, walk trails, talk loud, etc. I call this “Human Presence Conditioning”.

I want my deer to learn that people are noisy, predictable, smelly, and super easy to avoid. Basically, I’m trying to teach my deer that there is absolutely nothing to fear from humans because when they’re close by, the deer will know it and then avoidance is simply a matter of laying down and waiting. Or just go about what you were doing because people come and go here all the time.

I literally have deer coming out in the plots with me and I have bucks on cam an hour after I leave.

You’ll never fool a deer simply by staying away before season. As soon as you arrive, they’ll know it and IMO if they are not used to a human presence, they’ll be all the more freaked out by it. Now they have an unknown predator on the property with them and nothing scares a deer more.

Bottom line is I think you’re better of going on the property and doing whatever you want in terms of scouting. That will pay off farm more by increasing your knowledge compared to any downside as far as scaring the deer. IMO if you teach some deer that humans come and go and it’s no big deal, that’s even better.

Grouse

jwellsy

For the most part I agree with Grouse.The surrounding properties are part of the puzzle too. But with 2 months till bow season I’d go ahead and brush hog and clear trails around thick bedding areas leading to the lake and anywhere else they may want an easy path to walk.That would give them over a month to discover them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.