Judge rules Minnesota age requirement for pistol permit violates 2nd Amendment

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

http://www.fox9.com/news/judge-rules-minnesotas-age-requirement-for-pistol-permits-violates-2nd-amendment

(FOX 9) – A federal judge has ruled a Minnesota statute that requires pistol permit holders to be 21 years old is a violation of constitutional rights.

The ruling follows a 2021 lawsuit brought by three young adults and three gun rights organizations, including the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, Second Amendment Foundation, and Firearms Policy Coalition.

The age requirement was put into law in 2003 by the Minnesota State Legislature as part of the Minnesota Citizens’ Personal Protection Act.

In their lawsuit, the young adults sued to end the requirement after they were denied pistol permits because they were under 21. The lawsuit argued the requirement was a violation of the teen’s Second Amendment rights.

In the ruling, Judge Katherine Menendez agreed with that argument, finding the Minnesota law was a violation of both 2nd and 4th Amendment rights for adults ages 18 to 20. In her ruling, the judge is preventing state and local leaders from denying permits to permit applicants between the ages of 18 and 20, who are otherwise qualified.

The gun rights groups involved with the lawsuit celebrated the victory on Friday.

“This decision should serve as a warning to anti-gun politicians in Minnesota that the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus and its allies will not hesitate to take legal actions against unconstitutional infringements on the Second Amendment rights of Minnesotans, ” added Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus Senior Vice President Rob Doar.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ll predict the gets appealed, possibly up to the Supreme Court. Then gets thrown out along with every other state law that violates your 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms – Nation Wide.

-J.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

Our only hope are courts that are friendly to the constitution. If we lose that, it’s over.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Don’t you have to already be 21 to even buy a handgun or handgun ammo in MN?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

No.

-J.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

No.

-J.

Thanks

Reef W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

No.

-J.

You do from an FFL

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

This thread will be eligible for the Friday lock.

Born
    Participant

Yay. One step in the right direction.

Four steps backwards, four bills at the legislators desks taking our second amendment rights away. Contact your legislators and tell them you oppose these bills.

HF 396 imposes unreasonable firearm storage requirements impeding one’s ability to engage in self-defense and imposes unreasonable penalties for violations.

HF 14 imposes unreasonable restrictions on transferring firearms and seeks to implement universal background checks in addition to implementing new ways for the government to deny firearm ownership and possession.

HF 15 seeks to implement “red flag” laws allowing gun confiscation of law-abiding gun owners based on mere speculation and hearsay evidence.

HF 601 victimizes gun owners who suffer loss or theft of their property, with unreasonable criminal penalties if they do not report lost or stolen firearms within 48 hours of discovering them missing.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

You do from an FFL

So do you or don’t you? Whenever I’m in the store I swear it says you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Private sale/possession is legal in Mn.

-J.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Private sale/possession is legal in Mn.

-J.

So let me get this correct then. You have to be 21 to buy one in a store but only 18 from a guy on the street. But you can’t buy ammo for it in the store, and the lawsuit you referenced above is is stating they want the street sale to be legal for a carry permit. This makes no sense to me.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Google is your friend here. The important point of this ruling is the legal age of an adult is 18, not 21. And this is 2A case that may end up at the Supreme Court.

I expect all gun laws in Mn and the US that restrict someone under 21 to get tossed out.

-J.

Edit. Example. It’s not illegal to gift your 18 YO kid a handgun. Not illegal for them to possess it.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Ok

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I had an M16 and a 45 when I was 17 ? crazy

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.