Joint Replacement ?

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Now that I’m an old codger I’m getting old stuff happening to my body. Got me some bone on bone in the right ankle. Went to Twin Cities Ortho a few years ago and they said the only thing they could do was Cortisone or fuse it. I said naw to both and went with a stem cell injection. Well that helped a bit with the pain and kept my gate looking good, but it still hurts most of the day.

Fast forward, yesterday I see a gal with one of them knee scooters and a boot. We start talking and she said she had bone on bone in her ankle and had her ankle replaced. (see pic) The Doc at TC said ankles cannot be replaced, guess she was incorrect.
    It was too early for her to know how well it will work.
    So anyone out there have an ankle replaced?
    I know quite a few people that have had successful knees and hips, but I do not know of anyone who has had an ankle.

Attachments:
    1. Ankle.jpg

blackbay
    mn

My 45 yr old neighbor had his ankle done this summer. He was off of it for a few months and is now boppin around his yard like a 39 year old.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Not ankle but have c567 fused . Not good , if only I had known about artificial disc replacement . You keep range of motion and less invasive . Good luck on what you decide to do .

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

My 45 yr old neighbor had his ankle done this summer. He was off of it for a few months and is now boppin around his yard like a 39 year old.

A few months shock

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

My doctor won’t even consider it for any one over 50. Any pressure, ANY, can set you back to zero.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

My 66 yr old brother-in-law had ankle joint replacement at least 2 years ago and is still working. He’s a painter and is on a ladder alot. From what I understand the recovery time is monthes, not weeks.

blackbay
    mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blackbay wrote:</div>

A few months shock

Yep. He had a knee scooter and then a boot to his knee.

My wife broke her ankle and foot earlier this summer. She was off of it for two weeks with a knee scooter and then had a boot with orders not to walk on it much. Certainly no stairs for at least a month.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

My daughter is an podiatric surgeon in Green Bay and has been trained and doing these implants for 4 years now…
    She says it is a very effective and safe surgery with very few complications….

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Fast forward, yesterday I see a gal with one of them knee scooters and a boot. We start talking and she said she had bone on bone in her ankle and had her ankle replaced. (see pic) The Doc at TC said ankles cannot be replaced, guess she was incorrect.
    It was too early for her to know how well it will work.
    So anyone out there have an ankle replaced?

In 2008 I was in Ceder Rapids IA at a Lone Star, (I think) I was there on business doing a look see on a remodel. A fellow in a booth just had an ankle replaced and was going to have the other one done within a few weeks from then. I asked him if it was a complete joint replacement, he nodded yes. That is the short version.

On a different note, about the same area just a year or 2 earlier, in Omaha a man I built a restaurant for (Indigo Joe’s) had 2 disc replaced in his back in Germany I think. He said if he would have had it done here (experimental at the time) they could only have replaced 1.

gimp

My favorit bar burnt down and I had to have a joint replacement too! LOL.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

EPG, I’m 44 and have had both hips done at tria, was only place I found willing to do it at my age. I would check them out. My last one was 2.5 months ago and I was home 4 hours after! Amazing what technology does to help

Brad Dimond

TRIA replaced my right knee five weeks ago. I am walking with no support, driving and walking the dog. I am not moving fast and have two more weeks of physical therapy scheduled as well as months of ongoing exercises on my own. TRIA was outstanding throughout
    the process. Talk to them, see what they recommend.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Time for the pirate peg leg and the eye patch, you can pull it off EPG! On a serious note sorry to hear about your pain bud. I know several people that have had work done at Twin City Ortho and had good luck. However they can be set in there ways, maybe try somewhere else. Good luck man, if you need someone to help pour you a glass of bourbon and drink with you let me know.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Had my shoulder replaced at Tria, and only regret was waiting as long as I did. The weight bearing one’s are a lot different though. I’d make an appointment at Tria and at TCO, for a second opinion. I did and they both said the same thing, replace it asap.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Had my shoulder replaced at Tria, and only regret was waiting as long as I did. The weight bearing one’s are a lot different though. I’d make an appointment at Tria and at TCO, for a second opinion. I did and they both said the same thing, replace it asap.

BigWerm, do you know what the replacement was called? Material used? I’ve been going to Summit the last couple of years for my shoulder. Requires total replacement, but at my age (47) they want to use a new weight bearing system that supposedly is not approved yet. Called pyrocarbon.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

BigWerm, do you know what the replacement was called? Material used?

It was a full shoulder replacement, not a reverse replacement, and not sure on material titanium and some poly/plastic something or other. It was 5 years ago, so guessing it wasn’t the new material.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.