last weekend’s fishing

• Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thought I’d put up a little mini-report about my dad and I hitting the lake this past weekend. Saturday wasn’t too bad at all; hardly any wind, and hardly any boats out for whatever reason. Life wasn’t bad. We picked up a couple nice fat walleyes, and though you can tell how excited dad was to get em in the net, you can’t see how fat they were. They, along with 3-4 whites, had bellies that were about to pop. If you can make out the pics on the graph, you can understand why. Seems most lakes I’ve been on this year have just been full of bait.

Even though I found a new crank that the walleyes really like, our walleye bite died, so we went after crappies. I ended up with 22, dad had about 7-8, and they were black as black can be; really into the spawn. The most crappies I have ever caught in one day on Johnson.

Before we put the Crestliner on the trailer, we tried another location for a few crappies and I managed a couple, but the real treat was this 16 1/4″ smallie that was a blast getting in on my light crappie rod. I’ve only caught one other smallie this large, so I was rather excited about it. Now if I could just get the 18 inchers in- I know they’re in there.

All in all, not a bad day. Now Sunday, on the other hand….not so good. My buddy Tony and I hit a canal lake to try for crappies and walleyes. Very windy, gusting up to 40mph in one direction, while the current was raging in the other direction. I don’t know why they are busting the water through the canal system right now- irrigation isn’t for another 1 1/2 months or so! But it sure felt like irrigation. Canal was low, so it took some of my spots away for crappies, and we managed only 1 walleye. Had a buddy out in this area the previous day and his boat managed 6 eyes, I believe he said. It’s only going to get better from here.

mroberts
    Participant
    Nebraska

Good report Brian we are going to have to get out after the wife goes back to work and the kids are back a at daycare.

djorg
    Participant
    Central City, NE

Nice report Brian, you seem to really have their number out there. That smallie had to be a riot on light tackle. I’m really glad that you find time to take your dad fishing. That way you won’t feel so bad taking me to some of those same fishing holes. lol

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Ya it’s pretty nice since he retired; I can pick him up on my way thru Lex and hit the lake with him about any day. He’s moving to the lake later on this month, so I better get out there and make sure the driveway has room for a Crestliner. As if my place wasn’t enough of a bachelor pad, it’ll really be bad when I have a couple days off and just stay with him all the time!

C’mon down Jorg, I’ve been waitin for ya…

mb376
    Participant
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Nice report, one of these days I am going to head out there and try to catch one of those smallies.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

They are truly a blast, even the 8 inchers! I’m not a bass guy, but I do like to fish for smallies on occasion. They are just so wild and powerful, and I know there are some good ones in there. There are some pretty decent bass anglers in the area and I know they do a lot better than I. If you’re a bass guy, it’s not a bad place to try.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.