Tuesday report

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I headed over to Elwood Tues morning about 11:30 and started pulling cranks. Wasn’t there 10 minutes and had my first wiper. I saw more fish out off points, but still down deep, but figured I might have a busy day. Just wishin, I guess. Turned out to be my only wiper of the day. A buddy of mine, Jeremy McCarter, showed up and we found an area in only 7-9 FOW where we drifted and pulled crawlers fairly slow, and he got a couple wipers and I got a white. Then that was it. About 7pm I went over to Johnson and trolled a breakline and got one real aggressive whitey while rackin a #7 SRRS off the bottom. Trolled the dam a few times with no results at all. Water was about 68 degrees at both lakes.

djorg
    Central City, NE

Hey Brian, how deep were those fish at Elwood? Whatcha running for cranks there?

We have another week of 80 F weather coming so I don’t think that the temp is going to fall too fast. Would be nice though.

Keep up the good work; at least someone needs to be out there looking for fish.

jorg

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Hey Jorg,
    A lot of those fish were deep off points in 25-30 FOW. My trolling motor situation isn’t good, otherwise I might think of sitting on them jigging with minnows or crawlers or something. I tried to get em down deep with deep running banana baits to no avail. I expect things to change over there real soon.

djorg
    Central City, NE

Brian

Have you tried any snap-on weights? One and a half to two ounces snapped on 20-30 feet in front of the lure will allow the you to attain that kind of depth real easy. That way you could still run a smaller profile lure.

In your estimation is Elwood changing from an alewife forage base to a shad base? If it does the dynamics of that lake will change drastically. Calamus has really changed from the good-ole-days in that same aspect. When the alewife flushed down the canal from Calamus to Davis it really changed that lake.

Good fishin’
    jorg

shermanator
    Nebraska

Flatwalter- Did it change for the good or the bad in your opinion?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

No, I haven’t tried snap weights, but I have been using a lot of leadcore. I think I’ve been getting down around 27′ or so, which I figure isn’t bad, cuz I want those cranks to run right above em, I would think. But I just can’t even get bit down deep over there.

As for it changing from alewife to shad….I really think that it is changing that way, and will continue to do so in the near future, from what I’ve seen. That lake is so screwed up this year, with water going in, stopping, going in, stopping…..those fish were so set on patterns of water entering, for one thing. And then when you add in all the cover they have available to them now that they didn’t before, that changes things too. Pretty wild over there, but I gotta be able to catch a fish sooner or later. I’m sure I’ll be over there still tryin….

djorg
    Central City, NE

Sherm

The loss of alewife at Calamus really made it more difficult for me to find LARGE walleyes at Calamus. In the years previous we had some remarkable stringers that came out of the lake. Then there was the mass migration down the canal to Davis. For quite a few years there were huge numbers of HUGE fish coming from the inlet area at Davis on jigging spoons. At the same time some alewife were being snagged there. Deductive reasoning is simple; the big dudes decided to follow the bait fish.

Now we have shad based forage and these lakes are becoming more and more similar to those surrounding them. I find a lot of similiarities in Davis and Elwood; we will probably see even more similiarities between them when the forage base switches to be basically a shad base.

Just an old fisherman following the changes in lakes.

By the way; I was at Sherman on Sunday and the winds reminded me a lot of another day up there. Did you have any damage? The waves were really crashing in on the dam because the wind was really howling straight down the lake. Can’t believe no one was fishing it.

Good fishin’
    jorg

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Brian you ought to try some flat A’s or long A’s when they are out deep like that. I’ve hammered em on them for years.Just get them to run a couple feet above them and crank the speed up to about 2.5-2.7 mph.It’s been years since I was on Johnsons but on Mac we have been doing it and all the reservoirs in Nw Ks and sw Nebraska we have been hitting them this way for years.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.