Corn for the Winter

• zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

We now have a freezer full of corn for the winter Sure was a lot of work but it is going to be great when I have home grown corn for supper in January

Kelli and I already put up sweet pickles so all we have left to do is put up the bread-and-butter pickles and SALSA

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

I hear that! That’s what we did Wed night, and you’re right….there’s nothing better than busting out a bag of that in January!

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

Sorry guys, I planned for this to go to the NE GEN FRM. I don’t know what I was thinking

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Can you give any helpful hints on how to do it…I have often wanted to do this but don’t know the simple answers like: Do you have to cook it on the cob first? What sort of tool do you use to process the corn off of the cob? What sort of container do you freeze it in? Freeze it in water or with salt? Probably dumb questions but I just don’t know…DS

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

I think what my mom was doing was just cooking it on the cob, like you would when you’re going to eat it. Then just cut if off the cob with an electric knife, and throw it in freezer bags. Stick em in the fridge to cool em down before you throw em in the freezer. Then, they’re ready to go. When you open em up, then you’ll put butter, seasoning, etc., on it. Tasty!

scott s m
    Participant
    south central MN

rooster, just like b said.. boil it up, cut it off with knife and throw it in freezer. i made 13 bags last year and it beats the hell out of canned corn. (i won’t touch the stuff).

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

OK, here it is. Don’t say I didn’t ever give you anything

Boil ears for 1 1/2 minutes
    Let them cool in ice water
    When cool, cut kernals off cobb (I use an electric and cut them on a bunt pan. They set right on top of the middle part of the bunt pan and the kernals fall down into the bowl. It works GREAT )
    Put 18 cups of corn in a large roaster
    1 pint half & half
    16 ounces of butter
    Place into oven for 1 hour @ 325 degrees

We put two cups/zip-lock bag and freeze. If you are worried about your heart you may want to stay away from this reciepe but if you don’t care, boy does this make some GREAT EATS!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.