Elwood Thur night

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I was out to Elwood Thur afternoon/night and tried to find a few fish. I’ll tell you, it’s been a rough summer for me, and it’s only gettin worse, which I thought would be hard to do. I trolled for a while at different depths & speeds, couldn’t get anything to go. Then I started doing what I went to do, which was drift blood for cats. Sara showed up a bit later and we just sat there- not even enough wind to drift. Storms moved in QUICK, wind picked up, and we got one small cat in, had another on, and watched the blood get attacked one time with no hook up. I just wasn’t seeing ANY fish on the bottom at all….anywhere. Everything was suspended, that I could see, and I just couldn’t get them to hit. I did see the wipers just bust up the surface a few times going crazy after shad, and as usual on that lake, I couldn’t catch em even if I had dynamite.

We trolled back to the ramp anyways, and I got a whitey on a jointed rad shad. Near as I can tell, the fish are still in the weeds possibly. I didn’t think that would be the case with the water at 87, that’s right, 87 degrees at 5pm, but I did see more fish on the 332c when I got near the weeds. I thought maybe the sun was hitting my ‘ducer or something, but it was in the shade, and read 87 degrees for quite some time. The lowest I saw it was 83.1 degrees. I suppose I should have concentrated on the weeds more, but I drifted the blood near them thinking it would draw the cats out, and it sure did not. I think I’m just going to hole up in the kitchen and make margaritas on all my days off for the next month. This is getting ridiculous.

papajon
    Grand Island Ne

Ill bring over some ice If this means you need something to do Iam putting a new floor in the old boat(mine) fri/sat.In the ac shop (ok shade tree and hope for a breez)It would be a good time to stop by and say hello.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Hang in there Brian. When you start nailing them…..LOOK OUT, it’ll be on.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Wanna go fish Swanson with me next Friday and I’ll show you how to catch those wipers w/feathers.

djorg
    Central City, NE

I’ve been in that kitchen for the past couple of weeks, too. Amazing that a guy can run out of ‘honey do’s’ after a while. Hopefully will get out and try some fishing this weekend if it cools down a couple of degrees. Hang in there big guy and tell Sara hello

jorg

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks guys….man, it’s just been real rough. Can’t catch flatheads in the canal, can’t catch channels on blood, can’t catch anything trolling….maybe I gotta swing over to Johnson before it goes down. My cousin had a cat tourny there last week, and he didn’t get a bite till 430am. Then he caught 60lbs in half an hour (his words) and ended up winning the thing.

And I don’t think that it’s because the blood wasn’t working…there were just no fish on the bottom in that lake yesterday. I know I was hitting the depth with cranks, and they wouldn’t hit those either. I changed up all kinds of stuff and couldn’t get em to go.

Where will you be, Jon?

And Zach, THANKS for the invite! I would most definitely take you up on that….if I wasn’t doing a wedding rehearsal. I bet you’re staying down there all weekend?

papajon
    Grand Island Ne

Ill be at the house here in GI,1620 W JOHN

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I’m leaving after work on Thursday and won’t get back till Sunday night. Going to see the new baby in McCook, fish Swanson and Willow and hit a family reunion Binkelman.

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

Im with you brian, i havent caught poop for “big” fish this year, more walleye, crappie, and wiper than any other years but nothing “big” yet. On the bright side….i made a follow-up cast behind my buddys buzzbait today after a big somethin swung at it. It nailed my spit n image when it came from behind and turned out to be a 5+ largemouth. Shook off before i touched it but hey it was big

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Holy crap Trevor, you’re still alive!! I was wondering if you were getting any fishing done. At least you’re catching fish, that’s all I can say.

I’m hoping those fish will start to move towards the bottom at Elwood, but I think they’ll stay in the pattern they’re in right now for a while. I’m not sure what to do over there…..can’t catch em on blood, and can’t catch anything else trolling. I guess you just gotta fish the weedy edges over there…..still.

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

I was wondering if they were tearing it up on the top much out there, a guy wanted me to go out there with him saturday evening to see if they were doing anything but i think the rain scared us both away….. i havent found really anything good around here lately. Steam plants been descent for some odd-ball fish, the white bass have been schooling on the top good at johnsons outlet, and i think the wiper mardi gras at harlans dam has dwindled out. Johnsons inlet hasnt been good for anything lately that i know of. The shad came in, nothing happened, and now they’re getting to big. Who knows what the future holds but hopefully it’ll get good before the summer ends..

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Brian ought to come visit up at Mac sometime soon.I haven’t had a chance to get on the water this week took the kids to the mountains.But the Local bait shop has some good pictures of limits of whites and the birds are starting to move in the evening.I’m hoping to get on the water most of the weekend to see for myself the bite seems to have just started good offshore and it usually runs most of the month.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.