Jigs

• grizzly
    nebraska

What is everyone’s choice on jigs with a minnow the short shank or a long shank and why? I have been using long shanks but have a lot of short shanks and haven’t used them for years

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Short shank usually. Wider gap for bait and better for hookset. They also usually have an eyelet for trailer hooks. I don’t run trailers a lot but it’s good have the option.

Unless I’m fishing crawlers. Then I like the longer shank to thread the crawler onto.

grizzly
    nebraska

Short shank usually. Wider gap for bait and better for hookset. They also usually have an eyelet for trailer hooks. I don’t run trailers a lot but it’s good have the option.

Unless I’m fishing crawlers. Then I like the longer shank to thread the crawler onto.

I have a box of short shanks and will try them up here on lotw with shiners and minnows as long as there heavy enough. Don’t remember why I quit using them

bigstorm
    Southern WI

X2

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I use the short shank for leeches and the long for minnow. I usually hook the minnow by sliding the hook in through the mouth and out the gill and then side hooking the body.

Deuces

Love fireballs for eyes. If I’m in a smallie area of the river I will use long shank bc I don’t seem to get as good a hookup ratio with them for some reason. No problem with eyes tho.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Have not used a short shank jig in probably 15+ years. None in the jig box today. Nearly all of my jigs today are BFT or VMC mooneye jigs. Both for live bait and plastic.

-J.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Only run VMC neon mooneyes, and Northland Long Shanks for plastics. Would love to hear of another long shank (truly long shank) that is good for plastics as Northland hook quality is hit or miss.

grizzly
    nebraska

Weather permitting we’re heading down to SD for some open water walleye fishing so I am taking them and give them a try. It a jig and minnow bite

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.