Is this right?

• 3Rivers

Is it right that car thief’s are out there? Obviously not, but it’s not helping that 2 manufacturers refuse to do anything despite the fact that theft of their cars accounts for 40% of all car theft currently.
    [/quote]

Bottom line is that you are saying the manufacturers are mostly at fault. Oh those silly kids are just stealing cars and joyriding. Nah, they killing people. Time to hold criminals accountable and actually make them afraid to steal, rather than pass blame. 1960, 1980, 2000, 2020. It doesn’t matter.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Bottom line is that you are saying the manufacturers are mostly at fault.

No, the bottom line is just as I said it is. It’s not helping anything or anyone that 2 manufacturers were refusing to implement the same $20 anti-theft technology that the rest of the industry uses.

Kia/Hyundai are just like the people who leave iphones, laptops,and wallets in plain sight in cars or leave cars running with the keys in. Is it their fault that stuff got stolen? No. Did they do things that made them out to be a more appealing or easier target for the bad guys? Yep.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Basically blame it on the victim

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

All this talk about holding Criminals accountable is just crazy talk. All of the people on this site are just not part of the WOKE society. Now me I’m WOKE. I have been every since about 5:30 this morning. grin

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Assuming it’s Prescott Wisc. you live in.

Naw, I’m in Elgin MN now.

When I moved into Prescott I put my bicycle out front visible for the taking. It sat untouched for 6 years.

I accidently on more than one occasion went fishing for 8 hr periods with my garage door open… all the fishing toys a person would need. Untouched. I lived less than 100 yds from the 5 bars downtown.

That bicycle for example in Owatonna MN where I lived next to a half way house…. was also always outside, but locked. One day I repurposed that lock for a something else. The next day my bicycle was found 3 houses down… apparently they had a hard time riding on flat tires rotflol

I would’ve put down a large bet that my bike in Prescott was going to disappear.

I have something similar in Elgin outside for the taking… ain’t budged.

One time I went to a twins game…car broken into, broad daylight, street 15′ away with no less than 10 uniforms visible. Call to 911 and they say… sweep the glass on the ground and drive away.

3Rivers

Kia/Hyundai are just like the people who leave iphones, laptops,and wallets in plain sight in cars or leave cars running with the keys in. Is it their fault that stuff got stolen? No. Did they do things that made them out to be a more appealing or easier target for the bad guys? Yep.

That’s like saying its the laptop and phones fault for being desirable to thieves. Let Kia and Hyundai take their lumps in the open market, not through litigation…AND let’s actually prosecute criminals instead of this catch and release nonsense that is getting people hurt and killed.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

One time I went to a twins game…car broken into, broad daylight, street 15′ away with no less than 10 uniforms visible. Call to 911 and they say… sweep the glass on the ground and drive away.

I’m not saying that the amount of crime isn’t much higher in larger metro areas, just saying there is plenty of it in small town USA as well.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

For sure there’s some. Usually very minor.

I could not stand living in Prescott waaay to close to the cities people. Oil and water. Just don’t mix.

So happy to be back rural

Funny how many folks from cities think Prescott and hastings are rural. Shake my head!
    Sure enjoyed my days on the water there though. Never could understand how I could find myself alone on the water though. Guess there’s just millions of people who don’t have a relationship with the outdoors and I couldn’t understand life without the outdoors. To each their very different owns

big_g
    Isle, MN

Again, for those blaming the victims… should young women wear halter tops, mini skirts and high heels ?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Suing an auto manufacturer for thefts is the ultimate sign of desperation showcasing a city’s inability to enforce laws and control crime.

If you live in a city threatening to do this – get out.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Suing an auto manufacturer for thefts is the ultimate sign of desperation showcasing a city’s inability to enforce laws and control crime.

If you live in a city threatening to do this – get out.

Agreed, except that it’s State AG Keith Ellison that is suing…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

A quick Google search shows Madison, St. Louis, Seattle, and Cleveland are going through the same process. Whether or not Ellison goes after them from a holistic level or a specific city follows a suit, the issue is clearly in urban and suburban areas.

The answer remains the same. Leave these dumps. Find a place in the country with some land and watch yourself be happier and safer. Life is too short to live in or around somewhere that pisses you off daily.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My understanding here is that its solely based on the specific year and models of Kia/Hyundai, correct? That is why they are being stolen at such a high rate?

This thread started off about car theft, turned into boat theft, welfare, women in skirts/high heels, and urban vs rural. Good to see it went off course, as usual.

Let the courts decide the outcome. If they say Kia and Hyundai need to add a $20 anti-theft piece of equipment to their vehicles, then they will. If not, stop buying a Kia or Hyundai or accept a higher risk of getting it stolen, whether that is in the city or the country, and whether the owner or thief is a female in high heels.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

Again, for those blaming the victims… should young women wear halter tops, mini skirts and high heels ?

Are tou saying that older women shouldn’t wear halter tops, mini skirts and high heels?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

My understanding here is that its solely based on the specific year and models of Kia/Hyundai, correct? That is why they are being stolen at such a high rate?

This thread started off about car theft, turned into boat theft, welfare, women in skirts/high heels, and urban vs rural. Good to see it went off course, as usual.

Let the courts decide the outcome. If they say Kia and Hyundai need to add a $20 anti-theft piece of equipment to their vehicles, then they will. If not, stop buying a Kia or Hyundai or risk getting it stolen, whether that is in the city or the country.

Do you really want to courts determining what you think? What the whole thread is about is what happened to personal responsibility? Why doe everybody want to point their finger at somebody else? If you are buying do some research, call your insurance company they will know what brands are being stolen. After-all even a lazy thief researched to know what brands and models to steal. grin

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

Are tou saying that older women shouldn’t wear halter tops, mini skirts and high heels?

Yes, busted. I am anti aging.

Maybe we need to sue these companies making this scant clothing ?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I like scant clothing. It’s the guys marketing the sausage casings sold as Yoga pants I question. doah

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Maybe we need to sue these companies making this scant clothing ?

Hey now, Lets not go crazy here grin

jimmysiewert

I agree with you Dutchboy. We as consumers have responsibility on understanding WHAT we are buying and the inherent pros and cons. Bringing the courts into this solves nothing. As for any thieves out there, you break the law – you are responsible for the inherent ramifications of your actions and my expectation as a citizen is that you pay the consequences.

Reef W

The affected model years started in 2011 for Kia and 2015 for Hyundai. The widespread theft didn’t start until it was popularized in 2021. The manufacturer then switched to immobilizers in all models mid year in response. How would the average consumer have “done their research” on this? Are you guys ripping open the steering columns and checking it out before you purchase?

big_g
    Isle, MN

So they should be suing whoever popularized it. Somebody gotta pay, besides the thief.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

So they should be suing whoever popularized it. Somebody gotta pay, besides the thief.

Definitely NOT the thief’s or law enforcements fault. Its the fault of whomever has the deepest pockets.

jimmysiewert

Reef – I am assuming you are aware there are plenty of stats and available data out there around anything and everything right? It is amazing what it can do to help in choices. And it doesn’t take ripping apart a steering column in person to find out.

Reef W

Reef – I am assuming you are aware there are plenty of stats and available data out there around anything and everything right? It is amazing what it can do to help in choices. And it doesn’t take ripping apart a steering column in person to find out.

Huh… I’ve purchased two Hyundais in the past, before 2021, that were in the affected time range and I did quite a bit of research about them but don’t recall anywhere noting that they didn’t have an immobilizer and could be started with a USB plug. Guess I missed it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Viewing 24 posts - 61 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.