Is the frost out of the ground in your area?

• castle-rock-clown

I’m looking to start clearing and expanding some of my plots. The ground is sandy dry, very little wet. I will be testing to see if the frost is truely out here in the Tomahawk area.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My property east of Hinckley was mainly frost free last week except for heavily shaded areas along the southern edges where the treeline keeps the fields well-shaded.

It doesn’t really matter for me because we have heavier soil, so I need it to dry out even after the frost comes out. These windy days the past week and low humidity will have been good for me as far as drying things out, but I still need at least a week of dry weather to get even close to working ground.

In your area, CRC, I’d think you’d be frost free almost everywhere.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I moved some logs and other stuff around on property well south of tomahawk. Shaded areas and where stuff was piled up still had some frost to about 2’ down. The forecasted rain should finish that off this week

snelson223
    Austin MN

Southern MN the frost is gone and already seen some farmers out planting. It’s pretty dry so some rain would be good.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

So many factors involved.
    I’ve seen frost in the ground as late as the 4th of July in the Metro area.

blackbay
    mn

My garlic seems to think the frost is out.

castle-rock-clown

The only sign of new life in my area(s) are some pussy willows, lol

Attachments:
    1. 69F6237E-8FFA-4C14-8452-54456DE460DF-scaled.jpeg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I turned dirt last weekend at the farm near Fergus. Did not find any frost at all. Also ground up the plots at home in Stillwater and again no frost. It’s go time. Hope to be planting corn in a week and a half. yay

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

A guy who leases from us has had early maturing sweet corn in the ground for 2 weeks already. He sells for top dollar earlier than anyone I’ve ever seen in MN. For reference we are about 1.5 miles from Pool 4.

tswoboda

So how do you all know when the frost is out without digging a hole?

castle-rock-clown

So how do you all know when the frost is out without digging a hole?

You place an ice cube under a box on the ground and come back an hour later. If it’s whole, you still have frost, if it’s melted, the frost is gone. Hope this helps. Happy planting.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.