Is lure color more important than lure size/shape/action?

• Spoon Minnow

I was accused of being biased on another forum where I posted examples of different lures in different colors that caught fish on the same day and many days after. Having fished lures for over 30 years of all different types and in many different waters, has given me insights when it comes to lures. I try not to be biased when it comes to anything fishing-related and I realize there will always be exceptions to the rule – color included. But as a whole, color may enhance a lure’s action and overall appearance to fish, but won’t matter if the combination of size, action, shape, and especially presentation, is wrong for that day.

I have certain color biases when it comes to certain lures, but would not insist that many other colors couldn’t work on the same outing using other colors. When it comes to lures, the scientific method is all I know to prove or disprove something. Consistency is something I highly value when it comes to catching fish. If I can’t use the same lure, the same way, on different outings and catch fish, I consider it a fluke and don’t include it in my photo record of lures.

The administrator of the forum got downright rude and got personal with his exaggerations of my posts in general. He accused me of bragging when I said I catch over 800 fish in a year while disregarding the size range (3″-7.5 lbs) of fish that bite my lures. Doubt I’ll ever post there again. Life’s too short.

Frank

Ripjiggen

To the original question I would say no.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I would say shape more than action. Action more than size. Size more than color.

Speaking mainly for predator fish. Panfish seem to have some serious color preferences at times. Lake trout can be notoriously picky on color alone.

It’s funny when I talk to other people when we’re all on a hot bite somewhere and some people will swear by green. The next boat will say gold. Another boat will say pink.

Buffalo Fishhead

Spoon minnow you said:

….color may enhance a lure’s action and overall appearance to fish…

I can see the how a color can enhance a lure’s appearance, but fail to see how color can enhance a lure’s action.

Would you be willing to expand on why you think this about enhancing a lure’s action.

Thanks,

Buffalo Fishhead

Spoon Minnow

Thanks for the reply BF.

Take a Power Bait grub tail with dark body. That unique tail whipping in a bright opaque chartreuse can’t but be noticed in early morning or late evening. Here’s another where I attached a bright chartreuse tail to a dark chubby body. Maybe an all dark color would do well; I hoping the combo will catch fish if only to aggravate a fish watching that tiny quivering tail whose size/shape/action is emphasized by the bright color.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0146.jpg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.