Is Anybody Trout Fishing

• lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Catch n’ release season or getting ready for opener?

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ve been trying, but circumstances beyond my control have kept me off the river. Haven’t been out since early December. I am building a new 5 weight that should be a lot of fun once I get back out.

SR

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I did manage a couple hour outing this past weekend. Was generally slow but nice to get in some drifts. Would generally like to see the snow pack settle out a bit. This time of year it’s easy to get cold water influx due to freeze/thaw cycles.

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’ve never been out this early (or late depending on how you look at it) in the season before. We usually wait until April. I haven’t done much in the last 5-6 years because of having little kids. (much easier to plop a little guy in the boat for a couple hours)

But my son is turning 6 this week and I’m taking him to Whitewater on April 20. I’ve always avoided that state park because of crowds, but I thought a good chance to check it out since it will be more of an “intro” trip and probably not much serious fishing anyway. Looking forward to showing him the ropes though )

Rod Bent
    Participant

I’ve been to the opener at Whitewater a few times and had success. Take a walk up Trout Run and you will have peace and quiet. Lots of small runs and pools.
    PS I’m a hook and worm guy but Hares Ear flies work. Or spinners and Rapalas.

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I’ve never been out this early (or late depending on how you look at it) in the season before. We usually wait until April. I haven’t done much in the last 5-6 years because of having little kids. (much easier to plop a little guy in the boat for a couple hours)

Some consolation in missing out the past 5-6 years is it may have been good timing. Can’t vouch for SE MN but the trout population went pear shaped after 2014 in a number of the Western Wi streams.

March fishing can be good but snow melt can shut it down. The USGS streamflow website is a handy tool this time of year.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.