Iowa Gun Season Success

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Yesterday was the last day of my gun season. My buddy got a nice buck opening morning but I don’t have a pic to share, however I will be boiling the head for him so when I get the pics I’ll post. I ended up with a nice fat doe and a big bodied buck who didn’t quite have the rack his body says he should have. Oh well, I got deer sticks coming! All shot on public land with my trusty 45/70. Hope others faired well in Iowa, too.

Steve

Attachments:
    1. 71E2FFA5-2BAF-4E07-9FF2-D69507B94AF1-scaled.jpeg

2. 1F416F59-37E4-4CAC-B843-3ECD079102C8-scaled.jpeg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That 45/70 sure does the Job. I shoot a Marlin in 375 Win. Never lost a deer that I shot with it. About 90% of them dropped in their tracks. The others all made it less than 50 yards. Neither is the most accurate much past 100 yards but sure deadly in close range shots. Congrats on a Great Season.

jake47
    WI

Yesterday was the last day of my gun season. My buddy got a nice buck opening morning but I don’t have a pic to share, however I will be boiling the head for him so when I get the pics I’ll post. I ended up with a nice fat doe and a big bodied buck who didn’t quite have the rack his body says he should have. Oh well, I got deer sticks coming! All shot on public land with my trusty 45/70. Hope others faired well in Iowa, too.

Steve

I always thought Iowa was shotgun/muzzleloader only so I looked at the regs. Cool that they allow those centerfire calibers as well! Not like my area of WI that used to be shotgun only…

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I always thought Iowa was shotgun/muzzleloader only so I looked at the regs. Cool that they allow those centerfire calibers as well! Not like my area of WI that used to be shotgun only…
    [/quote]

Yeah, they updated the regulations like 7 years ago. I still have my Ithaca Deer Slayer in the gun safe, she provided me a lot of deer burger in her day, but the 45/70 is my main critter gitter now. I also have a stainless 44 mag Marlin with a Holosun red dot that I use when doing wind bumps and hunting in super thick stuff.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.