Installing prop help

• Charles
    Participant

I was going to install my prop but I totally spaced on how it goes back together and I can’t find any diagram. This is from a 2003 mercury 125hp.
    I have a big freaking star washer that I can’t figure out where it goes, to the front or back.

Attachments:
    1. DBA9A41C-0EA1-4AC1-8EE2-884ADC63E1AC.jpg

2. E09B5AEC-5C80-4F5C-8D23-41EDF677622A.jpg

3. IMG_4642.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

Do you also have a solid thrust washer, like the picture below? If not, the large star washer would go on the prop shaft first, to act as the forward thrust washer, keeping the prop centered. I’ve never seen one that looks like that, must be an aftermarket hub kit or prop?

HRG

Attachments:
    1. 128354675-2.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

Please ignore my post above, I’m not confident in the answer.

HRG

Sylvanboat
    Participant

Perfect opportunity to take your boat to the dealer and buy some extra stuff. grin grin

Charles
    Participant

Well I am glad I got everybody confused lol.

I have this on 3 different forums and Facebook and nobody has seen that type of washer before. I guess I am going to get a new hub kit this week.

Charles
    Participant

Do you also have a solid thrust washer, like the picture below? If not, the large star washer would go on the prop shaft first, to act as the forward thrust washer, keeping the prop centered. I’ve never seen one that looks like that, must be an aftermarket hub kit or prop?

HRG

Yup I have a solid thrust washer,

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

Yup I have a solid thrust washer,

Then my guess is that after you install the thrust washer, insert the bushing into the prop and slide it on, it goes on under the brass fitting.

HRG

milemark_714
    Participant

Who installed it first?Could be that the large star washer is for a different application(motor)?Some of those hub kits come with parts for many outboards.

Charles
    Participant

Well I got it on there, I had to build a spacer out of a washer and then big ass star piece went on after that. There is no slop and no play.

So I guess I am good? I still have to grease and tighten everything.

Attachments:
    1. 68583398-547C-4BC2-BFA1-174A18A64BC6.jpg

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

Well I got it on there, I had to build a spacer out of a washer and then big ass star piece went on after that. There is no slop and no play.

That does not “look” right. Any chance the big ass star piece is NOT part of the hub assembly. Did you try leaving just that part out?

blackbay
    Participant
    mn

The only parts you should have for your Mercury hub kit are one of these below.

Forgot the other pic.

Attachments:
    1. Solas-Hub-Kit__37864.1558215608.jpg

2. download-2.png

3. download.png

Charles
    Participant

It’s not a flow torque hub assembly, So I have no idea what the hell it is.

So yeah I guess I am going to buy a new cheap prop with a flow torque, I have no idea what the hell this prop is. Glad I just spent $80 on something I can’t use.

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

It’s not a flow torque hub assembly, So I have no idea what the hell it is.

So yeah I guess I am going to buy a new cheap prop with a flow torque, I have no idea what the hell this prop is. Glad I just spent $80 on something I can’t use.

Hey, wait just a minute. Your original post mentions that you can’t figure out how this goes BACK together, indicating that at one time you were using these parts. Now you tell us this was a recent purchase, that you are trying to figure out how to install?

Buy a new Mercury or Quicksilver hub kit first, it might fit the prop you bought. There’s a lot of commonality in the hub design.

HRG

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.