Installing H Bird Software Updates

• Bartman

My year old Helix 10 DI unit needs a software update to eliminate some performance issues in shallow water. I loaded the Bird updates on an SD card and an ready to do the install. I watched the company video and it looks pretty simple but…… is it as simple as it looks? How can I be sure the download to the SD card from my PC is complete? Any tips from guys that have done this would be appreciated.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Make sure to reset your unit to factory defaults BEFORE & AFTER you run the update, also make sure your boat’s electronics battery has a good charge on it. Power-up the unit with the SD card loaded and follow the on screen prompts. It’s pretty simple…just focus on only doing the update by itself, don’t mess with starting the boat or anything else that could possibly disrupt it mid-update, you can brick your head unit..

I’ve been reading about issues with the latest Helix update (there’s pretty much issues with every Humminbird update though) so proceed with caution. Unless there’s a gamechanger fix, I would leave whatever software you have if it’s working well for you.

Bartman

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, wouldn’t mess with updates except the double echo in shallow water issue is just killing me. For the money you would think these units would not have glitches in the software.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

It’s pretty easy, just make sure that the current software is compatible with the version on your head. Certain updates won’t skip versions. With that said I Personally seem to be playing with Fire every time. I have 2 heads and have had an issue on one or the other for every update. I have had to send the units back twice which is 70 bucks and another 30 in shipping. It takes about 10 days, so plan Accordingly and don’t do it when you actually want to be using it. Also make sure to do a test run and don’t count on it working the first time. I wish it want this way, but my experience.

wormdunker

Easiest way on G2 units is via Fishsmart app and Bluetooth. No SD card needed.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Easiest way on G2 units is via Fishsmart app and Bluetooth. No SD card needed.

Does it have to be the G2N or will it work on the G2?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

When you look at the file on your SD card, make sure that it isn’t in a folder. From there, just put the card in the unit and turn it on. You will see screen prompts that let you know it is loading.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Bartman,

Simple and only took a few minutes. the only problem I ran into is the card MUST be 32gb or less. I tried using a 64gb card I had on hand and Helix won’t read a card that big at all.

Other than that it works exactly as advertised on the video. Took about 5 minutes to install and reset completely.

Fishing59

Do you need to delete old updates on sd card before putting new update on it to update Humminbird ?

shefland
    Walker

My opinion? if it does not bother you, leave it as is, all brands of electronics. Personal experience. Don’t update just because

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Do you need to delete old updates on sd card before putting new update on it to update Humminbird ?

I just did an update tonight and removed the old update before downloading the new one. It wouldn’t surprise me if you didn’t have to but did it anyway. To be safe, you could save a copy on your desktop or laptop.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

My opinion? if it does not bother you, leave it as is, all brands of electronics. Personal experience. Don’t update just because

Each update gives a pretty detailed list of fixes. It is easy to see if there is value in the update.

Bartman

I successfully installed the update on my Helix 10 Mega DI. It was easier than I hoped. The update fixed the shallow water issues these units had when they come out of the box. Surprisingly all of my waypoints and other settings were intact after the update.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

Simple and only took a few minutes. the only problem I ran into is the card MUST be 32gb or less. I tried using a 64gb card I had on hand and Helix won’t read a card that big at all.

Other than that it works exactly as advertised on the video. Took about 5 minutes to install and reset completely.

This ^^ saved me more frustration. So much good information on this site.

I couldn’t find the exact problem I was having with my SI on my Helix 9. The tech at Humminbird was a great help. I had never updated my Helix in the 4 years that I’ve had it. I guess I didn’t realize I had to. Anyway, the update fixed my SI issue and other functions seem better as well.

It’s easy to do if you follow the steps. FWIW, the new release for my unit let me jump from the first release to the latest. The tech did email a version in between to jump to first, but I didn’t need to.

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

When you guys say “shallow water performance issues” does that mean like less than 10ft of water and your locator shows 20ft and has a double display? That’s what my 2 year old Helix7 been doing in 2d sonar mode.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

When I first bought my Helix the directions for updates was to put the card in and turn the unit on. Now it has switched to put the card in while the unit is already on?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, wouldn’t mess with updates except the double echo in shallow water issue is just killing me. For the money you would think these units would not have glitches in the software.

Did you try and turn down your sensitivity in shallow water especially on a hard bottom even old 2D depth finders would do this. Many times you looked for it as an indication of a hard bottom.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.